• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a muzzleloader, need help with ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viper720

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site. Just looking for a little assistance. I found a double barrel muzzle loader in an attic recently and wanted to know if anyone could tell me the manufacturer. I have very, very little experience with muzzle loaders, and was just curious if anyone knew who made this. It has been worn quite a bit, so any text/engravings are illegible. The only remotely readable text was something like "molling sheath". That's about all I know. It is not readily accessible at the moment, so these are the only photos I will be able to supply for now. Thanks in advance.
6865378045_b18db63a7d_z.jpg

6865377907_5e35a1d703_z.jpg

6865377689_5812c42474_z.jpg

Maybe if you can get some clear close-up pictures of the locks and barrels along with a description of any markings, especially on the barrels, we may have more to work with in identifying it. Looks interesting. I like the little patchbox.
:thumbsup:

those "little" patch boxes are cap boxes and were popular in the late period caplocks. Take the barrels out and see if there are markings on the bottom towards the breech end.

I know. I was just using the generic term. Actually, I've seen very few of those used on percussion rifles. Most have boxes large enough for patches or sight rings although not too many of the latter have been found in them. Have seen quite a few with tallow in them though.

KanawhaRanger said:
Maybe if you can get some clear close-up pictures of the locks and barrels along with a description of any markings, especially on the barrels, we may have more to work with in identifying it. Looks interesting. I like the little patchbox.
:thumbsup:

I don't think that is a real patch/cap box. It looks like a decoration inlet to look like a cap box but is not. Isn't that wood inside the circle? If so then there is no lid, thus only a decoration.

Back