• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a horn maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
In my quest for a horn maker I found a gentleman in Indiana by the name of Jay Kell. After email, and phone conversations with Jay to convey to him what I was looking for in a horn Jay told me that he had some horns in stages of construction that he could finish off for me in only a few days. I found his work to be to my liking and his prices were very reasonable.

Here's a horn he finished for me for a left hand carry. It has an osage stopper and rawhide and brass repairs which I think makes it look old and used......like me

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

Here's a horn he made for my wife.
To tell you what kind of a man Jay is and why I called him a gentleman, I told him that my wife hunted with me with a muzzleloader this year and liked it so much that I wanted to get her outfitted with her own personal gear. Jay graciously offered to make her a horn FOR FREE. I told him he didn't have to do that but he said he WANTED to make it for her. A rare gesture in my opinion.

IMG_1897.JPG

Jay's email is [email protected]

Longhunter,
You have two very beautiful horns there. I agree with you that the maker is a gentleman, and those horns are something to be proud to own.
Scott

Here's another small horn and bark tanned bag I got from Jay. Very resonably priced I might add.

Jay_bag.JPG

Longhunter,
Along with being a gentleman, Mr. Kell is an artist! That bag and horn really go together.
Scott

Very nice horns! Simple, solid and serviceable.
Awfully nice for him to throw that 2nd one in!
I myself can't afford to do that yet :)

What I don't understand is why he used such large brass tacks for the "repair". It's certainly well crafted, but to me looks a tad bit overdone.....Ohh well to each their own

Enjoy your new gear!

Back