• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fort Osage Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiakmarine

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does this club still exist? No one seems to be tending to the website. I emailed them, but did not get an answer. There is no name or phone number given. I was a member a few years ago and would like to join again. I would appreciate any news. - John

Even when Ray Miller was still alive their website was not well maintained. That alone may not mean much. At the moment I can't bring to mind the name of one of their most active members. :hmm: Top builder also. I will chime in again if his name registers in my old cranium. That used to be a very active and top club.

Edit: Just checked, they may have a couple site links. There is a shoot scheduled for June. And, there is an address for paper mail. http://missourioffhand.org/_Files/2016/2016_FOML_StateShoot.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this long-silent thread just this morning. Because I'm going to a Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders (FOML) shoot this coming weekend, July 26-28, I wondered if any MLF folk were involved with this group. That's how I located this older thread.

As I've searched for a website and/or info for the FOML, what was said by both Rifleman1776 and kodiakmarine still holds true. Hard-to-find web info for the FOML. The way I learned about this weekend's shoot is that I got the FOML president's name and phone number from the LGS owner where I bought my BP supplies this week. When I called the FOML president, he invited me to the shoot. Seems like a really nice fellow. After a lot of years shooting muzzleloaders, he still sounds very excited about the sport.

So this shoot will give me the chance to finally try my new BP Trapper .50 CAL pistol for the first time. Should be an all-around interesting day I'll have on Saturday.

Here's the basic info on the weekend shoot:
July 26th, 27th & 28th, 2019 FOML host the Missouri Offhand Association Annual “Free” Shoot and a special three-day unique Novelty Shoot. Each Day the Novelty Shoot will be different.

Last edited:
Found this long-silent thread just this morning. Because I'm going to a Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders (FOML) shoot this coming weekend, July 26-28, I wondered if any MLF folk were involved with this group. That's how I located this older thread.

As I've searched for a website and/or info for the FOML, what was said by both Rifleman1776 and kodiakmarine still holds true. Hard-to-find web info for the FOML. The way I learned about this weekend's shoot is that I got the FOML president's name and phone number from the LGS owner where I bought my BP supplies this week. When I called the FOML president, he invited me to the shoot. Seems like a really nice fellow. After a lot of years shooting muzzleloaders, he still sounds very excited about the sport.

So this shoot will give me the chance to finally try my new BP Trapper .50 CAL pistol for the first time. Should be an all-around interesting day I'll have on Saturday.

Here's the basic info on the weekend shoot:
July 26th, 27th & 28th, 2019 FOML host the Missouri Offhand Association Annual “Free” Shoot and a special three-day unique Novelty Shoot. Each Day the Novelty Shoot will be different.

If your into muzzle loading and black powder shotguns
We have a few trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting clays shoots in Missouri and Berryville, AR annually.
If you get to FOML look up Rod Gates he is the President of the MBPS.

Got it...thx. Need to find out what "MBPS" stands for?

If your into muzzle loading and black powder shotguns
We have a few trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting clays shoots in Missouri and Berryville, AR annually.
If you get to FOML look up Rod Gates he is the President of the MBPS.

Missouri Black Powder Society
Appreciate it. I did a quick web search and an event for this society from a few years ago showed up on the MO MDC site: https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/events/view/705887

I know that MDC events sometimes have a longer rotation time before being scheduled again. I'll check at Andy Dalton Range if any events are being again planned. Beautiful country down in southern MO!

And will see if Mr. Gates does show up at the shoot.
:ThankYou:

Appreciate it. I did a quick web search and an event for this society from a few years ago showed up on the MO MDC site: https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/events/view/705887

I know that MDC events sometimes have a longer rotation time before being scheduled again. I'll check at Andy Dalton Range if any events are being again planned. Beautiful country down in southern MO!

And will see if Mr. Gates does show up at the shoot.
:ThankYou:

Thetr is only one MBPS shoot at the Dalton Range per year

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, I'm a member. If there's anything I can do to help you, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Not a prob at all. :ThankYou:for offering your help. I do have a question for you.

I have street directions to the range from the FOML president, Jim Thorpe. Is there an actual street address that would work with my Garmin? That will be my backup in case I mis-wrote any of the info he gave me. Other than that, I'm good to go. I plan to get there as early as I can on Saturday morning.

Are you planning to attend this shoot? It would be cool to meet if you are.

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, I'm a member. If there's anything I can do to help you, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Sorry again wiksmo, this morning is the first time, I've been back on the forum, since Wednesday.
Address is: 1637 NW 550th Road, Kingsville, Mo. I won't be there, I generally don't participate in the shoots, I can't hit the broadside of a barn, from inside it, sad but true. Jim isn't the pres. anymore, Richard Brinkman is now the pres. Good Luck, I hope you have a good time. Sorry I was late to the party again.
Earl

Again, not a prob. And :ThankYou: for your intro, Earl. My name is Bob, and when growing up if I heard from Mom using Robert....ruh roh!

All worked out okay, I found the range. There is the MO Sheriff's Headquarters at 291 and 50 intersection. Asked for help there, and they gave me the address and a google trip map, like a mapquest. Not really tough to find when you know where you need to get to. Thanks also for telling me the change in president position. I met Jim, but he was busy all day judging the shoot toward the range with steel targets. He connected me with an RO, who spent a good amount of time introducing me both to the range safety and shooting procedures, as well as guiding me through the first time loading my 50 CAL pistol. I had a really grand time, and I've found I like shooting BP quite a lot.:thumb:

Enough said. When I get something written up, I plan to post a "range report" from today. I shot at 25 yards using their P-2 pistol target. Got some good POIs for my first BP outing.

Take care.
wiksmo aka Bob

Sorry again wiksmo, this morning is the first time, I've been back on the forum, since Wednesday.
Address is: 1637 NW 550th Road, Kingsville, Mo. I won't be there, I generally don't participate in the shoots, I can't hit the broadside of a barn, from inside it, sad but true. Jim isn't the pres. anymore, Richard Brinkman is now the pres. Good Luck, I hope you have a good time. Sorry I was late to the party again.
Earl

Latest posts

Back