• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forensic Identification for Flintlock Remains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was considering a vinegar bath… not committed yet.
You have a unique item there. As to suitability for future shooting it could be. It,s getting down to learning all you can about what you have there and now. you may wind up with something that can never be shot. But you will have your very own piece of muzzle loading history...

The lug lines up with the pin flanges on the bottom where it connects into the stock.
True, now that I think about it the Dutch Type II has a bayonet lug on the bottom and has a sight on top like that. I bet it's Dutch. Don't know why I didn't think about it before. It's been messed with so that the tang is beaten up and the rings at the breech are barely visible but it fits. Dutch lugs are roughly every 10 inches if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Tue, Now that I think about it the Dutch Type II has a bayonet lug on the bottom and has a sight on top like that. I bet it's Dutch. Don't know why I didn't think about it before. It's been messed with so that the tang is beaten up and the rings at the breech are barely visible but it fits. Dutch lugs are roughly every 10 inches if I remember correctly.
I didn’t think of Dutch either.

as others have mentioned either a relic cheapo Brit export gun with mountings somewhat in the style of a Bess or an American composite with parts from a Bess in that direction, most likely early 19th century.

You have a unique item there. As to suitability for future shooting it could be. It,s getting down to learning all you can about what you have there and now. you may wind up with something that can never be shot. But you will have your very own piece of muzzle loading history...
Thanks. It’s an intriguing gun full of mystery. I don’t think actually shooting it would be as much fun as all the research. I’ve decided to look for a used American stock if I can find one to buy. Not in a hurry tho.

as far as a vinegar bath doesn't vinegar take off patina? I think the barrel looks great the way it is. Rough but showing it's 250+ year history.
I agree. The vinegar would be for the inside of the barrel. I had hoped to possibly plug the touch hole and fill it up, leaving the outside untouched. In theory this would gently remove the rust from inside. In theory… ☺️

Rather unusual sqaure nut holding the Cock.. I didn't realise there were Zip ties that long ago. Saved a lot of trouble making Keys and cutting Keyslots. O.D.
All of it are original equipment. Lol. We suspect the nut (not me) was a possible field repair with the local blacksmith.

Back