• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forbes Road: Love, War, and Revenge on the Pennsylvania Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went ahead and ordered the book and finished reading yesterday, and thought I might give you my impressions in case someone is interested in picking it up.

First, its got a lot of gun stuff in it. The protagonist is the son of a master Dutch gunsmith and learned the craft from his father. After his family is killed by indians, he's adopted by the Scots-Irish in central PA and continues his father's craft. Just how accurate all the stuff is I'll leave to someone more knowledgeable than myself to evaluate.

Second, its built around the Pontiac War. He's a scout for the British campaign and partners up with an old frontiersman who shows him the ropes. Lots of history, lots of shooting.

Third, there's a fair bit of romance/romanticism in it.

Overall, I enjoyed the book for its historical interest. I'm not going to say whether its great writing or not, simply because Cormac McCarthy long ago ruined all other fiction writers for me. Which is to say, this isn't Blood Meridian or No Country for Old Men. Forbes Road is more of a Lonesome Dove type book- it goes into peoples' feelings and motives more than generally suits my tastes, explains things out more than I'd like, and has a romanticism that usually puts me off. Its sort of a throwback to the woodsman epics, like Last of the Mohicans/Leatherstocking stuff, but thankfully not nearly as verbose. The hero is more or less flawless, and the bad guys are just plain bad.

Its clear at the end that there will be a second novel based on this character, and I plan on buying it. Which is probably all the endorsement any writer could ask for.

I read between forty and fifty books a year. This was the best book I've read in years. Shade is a genius. It was utterly unpredictable but believable given the twists in the plot. I couldn't put it down. My wife gave up trying to get my attention. I appreciated the author's accurate knowledge of History and the firearms of the period. That is rare.

There damned well better be a sequel! Beyond that , I sure hope that this author has at least a dozen more books in him. "Forbe's Road" is a book that I will re-read more than once. I truly believe this historical novel will eventually take it's place alongside the works of Eckert, Johnston, Parkman and Fennimore-Cooper.

This is a must read!

Just finishing up the final chapters and this is a very good read! Set around the major characters of Pontiac's Rebellion along the western Pennsylvania Frontier, the story weaves these real characters into a well crafted story line. Perhaps some of the character dialog isn't what would be expected of 18th Century PA frontier people, nonetheless the storyline is moving and grips the reader. Certainly worthy of a follow on story from this author, I'll be watching for another book! mjw

I emailed the author and here is part of his response:

For your info, the manuscript for the initial sequel to Forbes Road is now in graphic setup/design. We expect the publication date for both the trade paperback and the kindle ebook to be late April or early May of this year. The title is Conestoga Winter: A Story of Border Vengeance...If we can keep reader interest up, the intent is to take Wend Eckert through the Revolutionary War.

Thanks Crow Beads! I plan to keep a heads up on Amazon for this next book. Kinda thought he might carry the story on into the Rev War timeframe. mjw

FYI, the follow up book is now availible. (It can also be purchased directly from the author's website, which I think is something like forbesroad.com_

I'd been keeping an eye open for it, but Amazon was hiding it somehow. Anyways, my copy ought to arrive sometime this week, and I'll post a review soon after.

Just placed an order for my copy, too!
Conestoga Winter: A Story of Border Vengeance (Forbes Road) (Volume 2)
I've every expectation it'll be as good as the first book
mjw

Well, my complaints about the second book mirror the first. Too much telling, rather than showing. The author has a good story in mind, but (like most writers) the book would benefit tremendously from a good editor. Everything is spelled out, to a ridiculous degree. I guess my biggest complaint is that this would be a great young adult/kid novel series if it weren't for the R-rated sex. It doesn't further the story, or add anything to the character arcs, but it makes sure that it won't be on any school reading lists. Which is probably the first thing he needs to decide- does he want to write for kids, of for grownups?
My impressions:
1) Not as much gun stuff as in the first one.
2) The story felt padded. He was struggling to reach a page count.
3) The dialogue needs a lot, and I mean a lot, of work.
4) At the end, you already know what the plotline is heading towards, the two antagonists will be Tories, and Wend will settle things up with them in the Revolution.
5) I really, really, want to like the series, and will buy the third book, but the author needs a good editor. He's got a good story in mind, but he really needs someone to help him craft it.

I enjoyed Forbes Road a lot. I will say I could see the resolution with the two female leads coming a mile away. I am not a prude but the "encounter" with Mary just bothered me. I agree with cowboy this could be a young adult/kids book without the sex.

IowaScot, I just finished the second book, Conestoga Winter. If you think you have figured out the disposition of the female leads, you might want to get into the sequel.

I've been reading about the revolution in the South, and lo and behold, the 71st Highlanders were at both Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse. I guess we know where this is heading.

My wife and I just finished reading Conestoga Winter on Kindle. Wonderful! It is a must read. Cowboy2: I appreciate your thoughtful comments but you may be a bit too critical imho. Keep the following in mind:

Great literature was never intended to be either facsimile or echo of real life; it was meant to shut out real life for a while, to free the harried mind from mundane considerations, so that the mind could holiday amid glorious language and vivid word-pictures and inspiring or alluring ideas. - Colleen McCullough from The First Man in Rome

I'm not implying absolutely that Shade is a writer of great literature but you get the idea.

Hey there!!!

Just finished both his book's and in a few day's, I'll read them again !!! :thumbsup:

Any more to suggest ???

Thank's....

Ed...

Ed:

I just discovered the Wilderness Series by David Thompson (Robbins). The first seven got read in just under two weeks. The characters are great and they don't speak like idiot simpletons as in some of the other novels of the fur trapper era.

The stories set in the Rockies of 1828 on are all surprisingly varied with unexpected plot twists. The main character is Nate King. At nineteen during his first season he earns the name "Grizzly Killer." His character is complemented by an old veteran named "Shakespeare McNair". There are sixty-seven books in the series and all but the last one are no longer in print. I've been getting them from used book stores and online. Yesterday I purchased twenty-two more in brand new condition from a used book store in Denver.

Why these superb novels are not wildly popular with MLers is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Took me a while to get it but I got Conestoga Winter. Read it in about 3 days. There are criticisms that could be leveled at both books, and I wouldn't call Shade a "great" author. But I enjoyed both a whole lot and am anxiously waiting for a third. He left enough loose ends that there must be one coming.

Oh great a couple of more books I gotta read. When I pass it will take the kids a couple of trips to Goodwill to get rid of them hundreds of books about history fiction and non. Part of the master payback plan. Thanks for the heads up on the reads.

I have been using abebooks.com to buy used books. In all cases the books have been better than described and much cheaper than usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip. I just read the "Historical Context" page in the first link, and it was a very well done account of the western PA history of the time. Interesting to learn that Bouquet was the most respected military leader of his day. We locals sometimes don't fully appreciate how "center stage" our area was in the World at that time.
Now, to try to locate a copy.

Back