• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle Book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Grizzly

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just read a brief summary of the book- The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Henry J. Kauffman. Anyone out there read this book ? Is it worth reading further or look for another book ? I am pretty much green as far as ML-Black powder gun's go and just wonder what book I can start with.

I think I had Kaufman’s book in the 80’s . I believe it to be a book you need if interested in the history of rifles made in Pennsylvania. You might be able to find a used on on Amazon. I have a buddy that resells books that way and he just sold on on Christmas for $$$$

The Kaufman book is a very good starting place for anyone wanting to find knowledge on the Pa. Ky Rifle. It would he;p us to suggest other avenues , if we knew what your goals were in M/ling.. There are perhaps 20 + picture books specifically written on m/l longrifles, Jaeger rifles , and transition guns from early to later. All are beneficial for a knowledge base. Start somewhere , be patient , and read all about the subject you can find. Been doing this 50 + years , and still have barely seen half of the info. It's a shame , 41 yrs. working in Electro-mechanical engineering , have to interrupt the important work , of becoming immersed in 18th century guns and history. What a shame we have to earn a living , and only study m/l history on the side. ............. :thumb: You're on the right track.............oldwood

I think I had Kaufman’s book in the 80’s . I believe it to be a book you need if interested in the history of rifles made in Pennsylvania. You might be able to find a used on on Amazon. I have a buddy that resells books that way and he just sold on on Christmas for $$$$
I did find one on Amazon, kinda pricey but i guess older books are priced that way. I'll find a copy for cheaper, $ is tight these days. Thanks

The Kaufman book is a very good starting place for anyone wanting to find knowledge on the Pa. Ky Rifle. It would he;p us to suggest other avenues , if we knew what your goals were in M/ling.. There are perhaps 20 + picture books specifically written on m/l longrifles, Jaeger rifles , and transition guns from early to later. All are beneficial for a knowledge base. Start somewhere , be patient , and read all about the subject you can find. Been doing this 50 + years , and still have barely seen half of the info. It's a shame , 41 yrs. working in Electro-mechanical engineering , have to interrupt the important work , of becoming immersed in 18th century guns and history. What a shame we have to earn a living , and only study m/l history on the side. ............. :thumb: You're on the right track.............oldwoodII

The Kaufman book is a very good starting place for anyone wanting to find knowledge on the Pa. Ky Rifle. It would he;p us to suggest other avenues , if we knew what your goals were in M/ling.. There are perhaps 20 + picture books specifically written on m/l longrifles, Jaeger rifles , and transition guns from early to later. All are beneficial for a knowledge base. Start somewhere , be patient , and read all about the subject you can find. Been doing this 50 + years , and still have barely seen half of the info. It's a shame , 41 yrs. working in Electro-mechanical engineering , have to interrupt the important work , of becoming immersed in 18th century guns and history. What a shame we have to earn a living , and only study m/l history on the side. ............. :thumb: You're on the right track.............oldwood
I am researching now and I want to build a Kit ML Long rifle, I know you get what ya pay for just kinda spendy for the nicer Kit's. I will probably start with a Traditions Kit and go from there and want to build a Kibler Kit eventually. It is sad that most folks work for a living and seem's like only a few have a ''Labor of Love'' by working their own land and surviving in that way. My dilemma is I have time to study now but not much $ for my interest's and when I was working I had the $ but not the time to do my intererest's. What we all gotta do to survive, oh well ''Patience is a Virtue.'' Thanks

A worth while buy.
It looks look's like a decent read, I will get it and start my book collection again and add it to my tub's full o' book's for knowledge that my Ol' Lady hate's. She say's I have too many book's but i need something to read when I am on the porcelain throne.Thanks

It looks look's like a decent read, I will get it and start my book collection again and add it to my tub's full o' book's for knowledge that my Ol' Lady hate's. She say's I have too many book's but i need something to read when I am on the porcelain throne.Thanks
Books are worth while.

Back