• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For the Tennessee Rifle fans, #138

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wick Ellerbe said:
I'm not a real fan of Tennessee rifles, but that is really nice Birddog. Well done!!!!!!
:thumbsup: :hatsoff: :applause:

The Tennessee, I agree, is not my first choice in style. I find their stock dimentions uncomfortable with my boney angular build. However that sir, is a beautiful piece! In particular I am impressed with the attention to detail. The perfect wood to metal fit. The delicate file work on the butt plate and the "Pointer" on the lock and patch box latch. Even the screw heads are all aligned in perfect simitry.

John

Snow: A Tenn. shoulders differently than allot of rifles. A Tenn. rifle is made to shoot off your arm, not snuggled into the shoulder like ya would a Lancaster or York or Va rifle. So Fit is very important in them & LOP is very important. But it is very unusual to see a short heavy man shoot one, as he can't get up on the rifle to sight it well. Also a man with large biceps can't shoot it, as that small sharp buttplate will not snug into his arm, etc. So they definitely are not for everyone. :shake: But if ya do like a long thin non-ornate rifle, they are something for some to consider. :hmm:

Hey guys, I really Do appreciate all of the compliments on the rifle.

:redface: And yes, I have this thing about screws being aligned..... :idunno: don't know why, just take the time to do them that way.... Gives the rifles a more finished look to me.... And most likely not PC as I don't think these guys 150 years ago were too worried of how the screw heads ended up, they were utility rifles & just used screws to hold things on, etc....

But thanks all, I do appreciate it. :bow: :thumbsup:

Beautiful rifle! :thumbsup: What is the animal engraved on the lock and on the patchbox button? Allen

I think it's Birddoy7's logo. You should check his website. He's has built some beautiful guns and other neat stuff. This forum never ceases to amaze me with all of the very talented people involved. It's a pure joy to wander through all the threads to see what new work of art has be created.

To all of you :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Jac S. Muell

Jac S. Muell said:
I think it's Birddoy7's logo. You should check his website. He's has built some beautiful guns and other neat stuff. This forum never ceases to amaze me with all of the very talented people involved. It's a pure joy to wander through all the threads to see what new work of art has be created.

To all of you :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Jac S. Muell

:doh: :slap:

Try going on a new Cabo yacht. Every screw on the boat is "paraded" aligned. It is impressive to see the quality and detail on a vessel that is up to 52 feet. It says a lot about the overall attention to detail, as your rifle does by parading the screws.

yes, I'm in the boat business...

A real custom rifle always has the screws set at a North to South direction. This is how you tell the defference between just a gun smith and a builder of fine firearms. :hmm:

:shocked2: :doh: Dang it !! Why didn't I think of that !! :slap: Here ya go, now they are north & south. Sorry........ :redface:

Img_6869.jpg

:thumbsup:

Very nifty. I gotta tell ya I'd never even attempt a tang like that. I'd probably quit building guns if faced with something like that! :haha:

Birddog6 said:
Snow: A Tenn. shoulders differently than allot of rifles. A Tenn. rifle is made to shoot off your arm, not snuggled into the shoulder like ya would a Lancaster or York or Va rifle. So Fit is very important in them & LOP is very important. But it is very unusual to see a short heavy man shoot one, as he can't get up on the rifle to sight it well. Also a man with large biceps can't shoot it, as that small sharp buttplate will not snug into his arm, etc. So they definitely are not for everyone. :shake: But if ya do like a long thin non-ornate rifle, they are something for some to consider. :hmm:

So what your saying is, someone built like me at 6'5" and 200 pounds of lean meanness, a Tennessee might be a good fit. Shooting off the bicep does recoil become a problem with stout loads? I tend to get a bit heavy with the flask...

John

Snow: Sounds like a Tenn. would work for your frame. And being as tall as you are, loading a 46" barrel would not be an issue either. Keep in mind you are shooting a rifle that is usually a small caliber, so recoil is not an issue. Most of the Tenn. rifles I see are .32 to .45, but there are a few being made in the .50 cal. A .50 cal in a C weight barrel x 46" long would be plenty of weight to compensate for the recoil & small buttplate. IMHO.

Keith

Mike Brooks said:
Very nifty. I gotta tell ya I'd never even attempt a tang like that. I'd probably quit building guns if faced with something like that! :haha:

yeah....... :yakyak: right.... :rotf: If it was your style, I have no doubt in my mind you would be doing them & with finesse as well..... :grin:

The long tangs are a challenge tho.... After ya mess up 15 or 20 of them ya start to learn what not to do !! :rotf: :rotf:

I can tell ya this. if/when ya get it in there & it is right ....... Take it out & put it clear on the other side of the room.... :slap: cause if a fly farts in CA and you are in SC, the dang thing will end up bent & now it is .30 longer than the inlet & ya now have to shrink the dang thing in length, and that is not fun.... :doh: :rotf: :rotf:

Back