• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine mostly from TOW , but they limit you to 12 flints per order. I always add a note with the order to pick out any "hump backs" and they have done good to keep them out.

I lean towards the Black English flints, they seem to spark good and last longer than the French Amber. The French Amber work well and spark good but seem to chip more, mainly the corners, and not hold up quite as well or for as long. Your mileage may vary.

Mike Lea, Gunsmith has a nice selection of both black english flints and amber french flints in all sizes. I don't have his email address. He used to live in Columbus but moved so his phone number you see online probably isn't any good anymore. You can find him on Facebook easily.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Are some flints better than others?
Answer: Yes. But, the choice of better/worse is often largely a matter of opinion. I have used German sawn flints for many decades with much success. But, have also used English black knapped with no complaints. Have never used French amber so can't opin. Muzzle loading, especially the frustrating world of flint locking is a matter trying and learning for yerself.

I like using the hand knapped flints vs the saw cut flints. I usually order mine from Judith at http://www.heritage-products.com/.

Great folks to deal with and good pricing.
I've seen their ads forever, and they are going to get an order from me at some point. I think hand-napped "fits" the aura of muzzle loading better than sawn, too.

Answer: Yes. But, the choice of better/worse is often largely a matter of opinion. I have used German sawn flints for many decades with much success. But, have also used English black knapped with no complaints. Have never used French amber so can't opin. Muzzle loading, especially the frustrating world of flint locking is a matter trying and learning for yerself.
I have used some sawn flints several years ago but really do not remember where I bought them but they dulled very quickly and were a pain to knap, they probably were not the German ones you had such good luck with.

In fact I am not sure they were even real flint they were a homogenous looking gray stuff.

I have had real flints last a long time and others that seemed to just flake incessantly every time they hit the frizzen and basically knap themselves into premature oblivion, it is always a manure shoot.

Last edited:
I ordered a dozen 3/4" English flints from TOTW. They haven't come in yet, so I can't give you a scouting report yet Ed. Not that I really know what the H E double hockey sticks I'm looking at 🤣. Getting closer to taking that flinter to the range. I did read on here that "cut" flints aren't recommended. They are tough on the frizzen?

The cut ones aren't even FLINT; it's some kind of other animal, I don't recall the material, but use REAL flints, guys! It's called a Flintlock for a reason! ;)
It's agate, similar to quartz. I have one in my traditions lock, seems to spark and hold an edge pretty well. I use black English flint in the chambers though.

Was digging a drainage ditch this morning for a new greenhouse when I hit a double fist sized rock (quartz?) that broke into some almost perfect flints when the mattock struck it. I’ll clean them up later and see if they’ll spark. I’m thinking they will. They look like amber flints.

Was digging a drainage ditch this morning for a new greenhouse when I hit a double fist sized rock (quartz?) that broke into some almost perfect flints when the mattock struck it. I’ll clean them up later and see if they’ll spark. I’m thinking they will. They look like amber flints.
I live in a foreign country (Canada) so I get my flints from loyalist arms and they are good to deal with .

Just to follow up, this rock did not work so well. The flints made good sparks but broke on the first or second strike. It was too brittle. Oh well, didn’t cost anything and it was fun trying. Moving on to the next rock.

I've bought flints from TOW and several other venders. I have bought black, amber and white flints and I found little to no difference among them. Sometimes certain individual flints may be better or worse than others just like it but sawn flints have been the sole disappointment.

Latest posts

Back