• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints fer my new rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy ten 3/4" English flints for $13. The only problem is that the frizzen on my Blue Ridge is 7/8". Is it OK to use flints that are just a little bit smaller than the frizzen? Will they wear the frizzen unevenly? Also, at 10 for $13, is it a good deal?

Hello Bluegrass,

I'll give an opinion on this subject but some of the others may have better advice. I personally would not be afraid of using a slightly smaller flint. Heck half the time I'll break a flint a little and it'll be considerably smaller than called for.

As far as wearing unevenly I move my flint every so often anyhow it's no big problem to my way of thinking. We'll see what the powers that be say! LOL!

Chuck Goodall
The Original Huntin' Fool
&
Kanawha Ranger Scribe

There is some 'dimensional leeway' in grading flints, anyway. They are a handmade product of a natural material. You'll find +/- 1/8" in a batch frequently. The ideal is to have them just as wide as the frizzen - no more, no less. As Huntinfool said: just move the next flint sideways slightly when you change them so the edges of the frizzen get equal play.

You should be able to get them for a lot less than that at October Country...speak to Owner's John and Linda.

Theres a guy who buys bulk bags from October Country at .70cents apiece then sells them in lots of 10 on the gun auctions for the prices you're mentioning...maybe that's who you're dealing with...

Back