• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it hadn't been for the support of British regular soldiers during the French and Indian War, everyone west of the Appalachian Mountains would be speaking French or Spanish and hunting d'equireuil not squirrels in the East Texas woods. Thanks @tenngun, for reminding me that Tejas would have been Spanish territory.

Shooting a flintlock is an art form. The percussion cap and lock system is the triumph of technology over art. For the military having a lock that is easier to produce and not as prone to tuning and maintenance is a boon and can easily be understood as to why the percussion lock replaced the flintlock. Its the art I appreciate.
As far as Texas(Tehas) speakin Spanish, that my friend is y’alls opinion not a fact! Just sayin. Your friend from Deep East Texas said that...

Howard.......The problem I have with light guns is the recoil. That bothers me more than the gun weight and i'm crawling around the Colorado Rockies at 11,000ft. My Isaac Haines has a 38" swamped barrel which helps me see the front sight better. My vision is horrible and I enjoy still hunting in close. Which works out with my lousy vision. The gun only weighs 7lbs 11oz. It's heavy enough to help with recoil but not too heavy to carry. I'm 77, so i'm getting close to you. I have a Lakota friend and we hunt elk together. He hauls out the meat for me and I give him half of it. He likes getting the meat and I enjoy being able to continue to elk hunt.

It seems we all need to make adjustments when we get old. It sure beats not hunting.
True,they will kick harder, the lighter they are and I don't enjoy shooting heavy loads at the bench. Thank goodness I don't notice recoil shooting at game and I don't shoot at much game either. Actually a heavy load for me is most people's light load.
Squint

Sorry for not getting back with U , I am still trying to figure this site out. A flintlock is one of those ready to shoot guns. A cap lock takes the extra step of placing a cap on the nipple everytime. Lets say the cap does not go off for some reason. U have your caps in a tin and it is cold U are wearing gloves. U have an animal in range, Try getting a cap out of that little tin in cold weather with gloves on with out disturbing the buck in front of U. Many a tin has been dropped into the leaves, Try finding just one of those caps. LOL Lets say it is raining and your caps get wet or U have to swim a river to get away from the injuns. What Mr. Hankla was alluding to was tthe flinter is a ready to shoot weapon and U can find flints in the woods if U are miles from a cap lock shop. When caps came out the rush to change over caused a shortage in the market and they were expensive. Hope this makes sense.

Snotty.......Not that I want to defend a caplock but that's why they make cappers. Also, the flintlock needs to be primed just like the caplock and is very susceptible to moisture.

As far as Texas(Tehas) speakin Spanish, that my friend is y’alls opinion not a fact! Just sayin. Your friend from Deep East Texas said that...
Ultimately The Brits beating the French along the Canadian frontiers made it possible seventy years later for English speaking settlers to get in to Texas

Opinion not fact !
I guess it is, we don’t know what would have happened had Briton lost or more believable Reached a brokered peace with France
It was suggested in Pitts Government to trade the colonies for the Caribbean sugar islands.
Texas was settled by American settlers.
Would have America rebelled if France still controlled the trans Appalachian, or would fear of France just over the line kept them in control?
would Frace have had its revolution? Or Mexico? How would Spain responded to British colonist trying to invade Texas?
would the Brits have went to war with Spain to protect a incursion in to Spanish territory?
We don’t know what would have happened

I guess it is, we don’t know what would have happened had Briton lost or more believable Reached a brokered peace with France
It was suggested in Pitts Government to trade the colonies for the Caribbean sugar islands.
Texas was settled by American settlers.
Would have America rebelled if France still controlled the trans Appalachian, or would fear of France just over the line kept them in control?
would Frace have had its revolution? Or Mexico? How would Spain responded to British colonist trying to invade Texas?
would the Brits have went to war with Spain to protect a incursion in to Spanish territory?
We don’t know what would have happened
Well said...

Only ones complaining of snob's are the nipple hugger crowd.

I agree time to close thread.

Or Mabey a thread in the Caplock forum about apologizing why they can't figure how to use a Flintlock.

Now there is an idea!
Nipple hugger crowd!
Can’t figure how to use a flint!
Really?😂
It’s easy to tell your another Black Powder Professional!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back