Flintlock Slow Mo and lagged ignition

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Larry (Omaha)

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Went to a black powder shoot and this prairie walk was part of the shooting.
This shooter is a very good one, about 99% of the time. His trusty rifle had a hick up and produced a considerable delay in ignition.
Thought I would share. (turn your volume up)
Larry

excess650

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hangfires suck! 👎

I was watching a local guy struggle some years back. He was loading Pyrodex in his flintlock.:doh:

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
Great flintlock nerves! You're committed, hang in there till she goes, or it has been long enough she ain't going to. I would have been a foot off target. Where did the ball wind up?

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
YUP -- follow threw is the key with a flintlock :ghostly: :thumb:

Norman Brooks

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to me not enough spark? Enlarged to full screen and didn't see much sparking and slow to ignite the prime.

excess650

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Great flintlock nerves! You're committed, hang in there till she goes, or it has been long enough she ain't going to. I would have been a foot off target. Where did the ball wind up?
I expanded the video and saw splatter off the 2nd target from right.

olskool

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
i am 64 and have been a hunter and woodsman all my life in SC, i shoot a lot of handguns and am not lacking when it comes to accuracy with one. i do not flinch! i have been a handloader for 54 years. and a boolit caster for 40 years, and a self taught gunsmith for many years. i started with flintlocks about 20 years ago. i flinched bad with one no doubt! but i trained myself to count to 3 before i move after the trigger is pulled. of course the gun goes off before you ever get one out of your brain. but it helped me a lot. now i don't think about it, i just shoot, most of the time with no flinch, maybe that trick can help another shooter,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DrLaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I agree with Norman Brooks. Looked a lot like there was very little spark.