• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock rifle makers mark question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnar26

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, Recently picked up a .60cal rifle with 42" barrel. large siler lock. The barrel and lock have been heavily acid etched and the brass also aged. Does anyone recognize the makers mark? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

I agree, wouldn't be something I'd order done. I picked this up a few days ago for a reasonable price. It appears to be an older build. Lots of handling marks and the internals show some real use though not bad for wear. The bore is beautiful! It mics out at .605, shallow rifled. Being that it's numbered 73 I'd hope the builder may be known enough that one of you out there might recognize the mark. I'm more in the know about fowlers so any info on the style/school/period of this would also be appreciated.

She definitely has character! IYO what would have been used to get that much texture on the barrel?

Nitric acid, me thinks, it will cut steel like 60! When I make up my Neidner bluing solution I mix nitric and hydrochloric acid into distilled water and add black wire. It will eat up the steel black wire, emitting a brown cloud like a beef stake dropped into a piranha tank! I kid you not it is a sight to behold! Mike D.

I figured I'd update my caliber info. I must have bumped the dial on the caliper last time I checked. It is .62 cal not .60cal. .620 land to land and .642 groove to groove. rechecked 4 times same results 4 inches down from muzzle. from looking at other threads and off forum, I guess it is the makers interpretation of a Lancaster using early and late characteristics,as are most styles these days. So that answers that. Still hope someone out there will recognize the mark!

Back