• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaux

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a flintlock pistol. Any suggestions on who or where to purchase. I like the looks of the Harper's Ferry or the Dragoon type.

Thanks for any info..

Are you looking for one that shoots accurately for competition or one for show and tell and an occasional trip to the range?

Many Klatch

I bought a traditions pirate pistol fro my son for Christmas I woul put it up against anything out there. You just missed on on here for sale

I bought my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol in .50 cal several years ago. I picked the caliber to match my flintlock rifle. My black powder club shoots both at our monthly meets. I've been very happy with the quality and accuracy.

Thanks to all for the info. I was looking at a English Dragoon .50 cal kit from Muzzle Loader Builders Supply but the price of the kit and barrel got a wee bit high. So it looks like the Harper's Ferry kit from Dixie.

Unless you have built a gun from a box of rough castings, semi finished machined parts and a semi roughed out wooden stock before, I think you made a wise choice.

The kits from Muzzle Loader Builders Supply require finishing all metal parts, locating and installing all of the hardware which includes cutting the finished mortices for the lock and trigger, locating and creating the threaded holes for the fasteners etc.
Building one of these is similar to building a longrifle from the same place.

The Pedersoli Harper's Ferry on the other hand has most of the difficult stuff already done so a new builder has a very good chance of ending up with something to be proud of.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_195&products_id=965

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zonie and my wood carving skills are lacking. I have put a Lyman pistol kit together and used the hot brown finish for the metal then used tung oil for the wood finish. It's plain looking but sweet to shoot.

Meaux

Back