• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraungie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My dear friends once again I wish to pool from your vast knowledge. My son is hoping for a flintlock pistol for Christmas. Just something to have fun with. I saw a Traditions flint lock Pirate pistol at a gunshow yesterday. The gun looked fine, a sturdy frizzen spring and smooth lock. They were asking 325.00 for it. I thought it was a little high, but all the guns seem a little high to me. If I remember correctly Traditions took over the old CVA in Connecticut. The old CVA guns were not of very good quality although as I stated. This gun seemed very well built. Does any one here know much about these guns or can you suggest another. I also see Cabela's sells these guns. Thank you ahead of time.

Some of the traditions guns are not as good as the old CVA. Some CVA were pretty good. The mountain pistol and the Hawken pistol were pretty good quality.

Traditions's pirate pistol is mostly a reworked kentucky pistol with a brass butt cap. Shop prices because some on-line stores are far cheaper than others. Also check the offerings from Pedersoli.

Obviously the owner of that Pirate pistol thinks they have a most collectable and rare item.

Why else would they ask $325 for a $120 pistol?

Hi,
You can get a Lyman pistol for about $225 almost anywhere.
They are .50 cal, or .54 cal.
You can't beat their quality and reliability.
They are bullet proof!
SORRY! I didn't read the heading properly, the Lyman is not flintlock.
Fred

I know what you mean Zonie. Cabela's has them too for around the same price. We tend to overlook price when it's a Christmas present. Do you know if the aualty is any good and how well the gun is made? I always appreciate the help. You are a well respected name om this forum. You have never lead anyone astray.

Traditions guns are made by Ardesa, in Spain, the same company that made most of the guns CVA imported over the years.

They (Ardesa) have improved their design and quality over the years but, from what I've read, with the flintlocks you pays your money and takes your chances.
Some have been pretty good and some not so good.

The thing with a flintlock is if the locks frizzen produces a good shower of sparks it is pretty easy to improve the guns reliability by enlarging the touch hole.

If the lockdoesn't produce a good shower of sparks it might be as simple as changing the flint or the pad that holds the flint in the cock.
It might also be necessary to reharden the frizzen (a job not recommended for newcomers).

You do understand that a flintlock needs real black powder to work well?
The synthetic black powders work poorly and will lead to many frustrations.

Thanks Zonie I went ahead and bought it The magic of Christmas. The wood to metal fit is second to none. It looks really nice. The frizzen spring is strong but the hammer spring is a little weak.The hammer throws he spark into the pan and the flint is aimed at the center of the pan the touch hole is in the right place and the pan is of good size. I think I can strentghen the leaf hammer spring by either placing a piece of wood in the crotch. This shortens the moment arm on that leg and gives the spring a little more snap or I may place a smaller leaf inside it. The rifling looks pretty clean but I bet it's a tight 50 I will have to use a thinner patch or smaller than a .490 ball. The barrel has stamped on it to use blackpowder or pyrodex. This has me concerned, They must use the same barrel on their percussions. Tap a bigger touch hole and throw in a drum. I will let you know how she shoots after Christmas. A merry one to you and yours. Thanks again.

Back