• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Mortor VERY COOL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeard

32 Cal.
Reaction score
last weekend at the revolutionary reanactment in rehoboth mass., john bosh had a hand held mortor on display. it had to have been the hit of the show. alot of people were talking about it. he also had a few other very nice guns on display too.

mortor.jpg

WOW, How cool is that!!!, I have never seen one, thanks for posting the pic.
:applause:

TheGunCellar

Those are novel. Ben Coogle of Georgia built the first one I saw about 18 years ago. Thanks for sharing that pic!

Holly Smokes
I want one!!!! Who or does anyone sell a kit a motor ... enquiring DAWG must know!!!!
Please, pretty please I am begging... Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

If that thing is shootable, the recoil must be terrible to behold! But it shore is a purty thang!
:thumbsup:

Did they really have those things in the past? I've never seen or heard anything like it before.

Someone posted info on them here before. Yes, the British really used them. I don't know how common or effective they were, but this is not a fantasy creation of a modern gunmaker. They had to rate pretty high in macho factor, too. I bet all of the Redcoats envied the boys carrying these babies. :haha:

Of course, I would think that showing up at a battle with one of these would have made you real popular with enemy riflemen who probably had better range. :crackup: Maybe, they wouldn't have been all that popular after all.

I wonder what kind of range this thing had and how much powder they used.... all that stuff

would it have used an explosive round of some sort?

does anyone know where i can find info on this sort of thing?

George Neumann's book "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" shows a "Dutch Mortar Shoulder Arm" on page 198. It has a brief description of the piece along with the dimensions. Additionally the Rifle Shoppe has a series 819 Hand Mortar listed on page 26 of their 2002-2003 (most recent I think) catalog. Their text says Ben Coogle shoots tennis balls out to 200 or 300 yards.

Pretty cool looking! Add one of those to the list of "wants"! :D

Yes, they are real and they are PC.

Blackmores "Guns and Rifles of the World" has pictures of about 10 different models working in different ingeneous ways. Popes "Guns guns guns" has some too.

They were to launch 2 1/2 inch blackpowder grenades or firework shells.

I believe there were even wheelock versions.

Most popular between 1670 and 1740, then grenade throwing went out of fashion for 100 years or so.

Tennis ball calibre seems to be the most popular size today :) thus my comment above :)

I am in the process of building one myself. I got the parts from TRS as mentioned above the kit is about $800. Ben Coogle was selling one that he had for about $1400... He has an Early lock on it.
handmortar-1.jpg

According to Ben, it doesn't shoot tennis balls, it shoots raquette balls.

Here is a matchlock version
orig.jpg

I will post pictures of mine when its up and running!

take a look here for more pictures
http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/weapons.htm

GoF

Neat piece. Looks like a Miquelet Lock version though.
:thumbsup:

Oops! Sorry. I replied before the bottom picture loaded on my screen. They're both interesting pieces. I don't think my poor old shoulder could handle lobbing shells at high elevation from one of those. It would be fun to do though if you're in shape.

Yes, they are real and they are PC.

Blackmores "Guns and Rifles of the World" has pictures of about 10 different models working in different ingeneous ways. Popes "Guns guns guns" has some too.

Any way you could scan some of those?

Are these puppies available in kit form anywhere but the rifle shoppe? A preliminary search says I shouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. :shocking:

will try, but am having scanner problems so don't hold your breath :)
If scanner won't cooperate I'll try a camera shot :)

Latest posts

Back