• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50flinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got done processing a cow elk I got with my T/C 50 cal Hawken. Got her near Flagstaff in a down pour of hail. I was still hunting on the first hour and smelled wet fur. Thought to myself if I can smell wet fur, the elk are close. I took my lock cover off and checked the priming powder and thought about replacing it since it looked slightly damp, but then saw elk moving toward me. Pulled the hammer back to full cock and they heard the click. The lead cow moved to the side and ended up walking broadside at 40-45 yards. I said "I hope this works" and fired. Don't know if I was happier that the elk dropped or the flintlock went off in a hail storm. During the scouting days, I was able to bag four squirrels with my .32 cal flintlock. Made for some good camp chow.

Nice. Congratulations. No pictures? I used to roam around Flagstaff about 8-10 years ago. Lots of elk up there if you can draw a tag. And those big ol' Aberts squirrels are good eating.

Sean

Grats but ya gotta learn the "Hunters cock" so theres no click next time. Pull the trigger and hammer back at the same time, then let off on the trigger. Now your cocked silently. :thumbsup:

Powder- bullet-penetration. Distance traveled ??? Inquiring minds NEED to know. Larry

Tell us more, any photos? was it a traditional hunt or a mix of old and new? any time an Elk falls it is a good thing, just curious as to what people are using on their hunts.

I was using a 370gr T/C Maxiball with 90gr FFg Goex. Shot was about 40-45 yards and had complete pass through even after shooting through some brush. She dropped, got up ran 10 yards and dropped. Entrance hole was just touching the backside of the shoulder blade and exit was through the other shoulder. I guess the brush moved my impact just a hair. Still trying to figure out the photo thing.

I wasn't wearing any traditional garb. Just like hunting with a flintlock. I ran into quite a few guys using in lines and they were the rudest people I ever met. They would pull into my camp and say they weren't camping, they were just going to hunt where I was parked. I got into it with at least three guys who pulled trucks or ATVs within three feet of my truck or camp chair and they could not understand why I was getting upset. With thousands upon thousands of National Forest land, they see nothing wrong with driving through your camp and parking a truck within two feet of yours. When I asked where they were camped so I could pull into their camp, none of them would tell me. The only guy who pulled up and asked if I was hunting or just camping, because he wanted to hunt that area, left when I said I was hunting. Before he left, he told me where his camp was in case I needed help getting one out. He was hunting with a caplock. Makes one wonder if the more traditional guys have better sportsmanship and ethics.

Sorry to hear you had trouble with some idiots, I do think there is a connection between the type of gear used and the attitude with some people.

50flinter said:
I wasn't wearing any traditional garb. Just like hunting with a flintlock. I ran into quite a few guys using in lines and they were the rudest people I ever met. They would pull into my camp and say they weren't camping, they were just going to hunt where I was parked. I got into it with at least three guys who pulled trucks or ATVs within three feet of my truck or camp chair and they could not understand why I was getting upset. With thousands upon thousands of National Forest land, they see nothing wrong with driving through your camp and parking a truck within two feet of yours. When I asked where they were camped so I could pull into their camp, none of them would tell me. The only guy who pulled up and asked if I was hunting or just camping, because he wanted to hunt that area, left when I said I was hunting. Before he left, he told me where his camp was in case I needed help getting one out. He was hunting with a caplock. Makes one wonder if the more traditional guys have better sportsmanship and ethics.

I have to ask, I wonder if you noticed an age difference between all those knuckleheads and the one who offered help to you? :hmm:

Really no age difference. One guy had his kid with him and I mentioned that the kid was learning all the wrong things about respecting other hunters which got the dad even more irate. He's the one that pulled his truck so close to mine, I couldn't get the door open. He finally pulled away from my truck and parked 50 feet away. The caplock guy was retired Army and I'm retired Marine, so there was mutual respect upon meeting one another.

Well done! elk steaks sounds really good to me!- Congratulations on your elk hunt! with a flinter no less! Would love to see some pictures- If you need help getting pic's up p.m. me....Dan

Hi Fifty,
Why not email the pics to someone who knows the ropes involved with getting 'em posted? Can you tell we want to see pics? Maybe Dan will post 'em?

Your statement runs along the lines of my experiences. The more traditional guys hunt with a flinter because they want to make it a bit more difficult or do it like their ancestors did. They appreciate the "rules" of hunting, the chivalry involved more that the "other" guys. The "other guys seem to be out to kill (or shoot at) more deer or extend their seasons and don't seem to care as much about chivalry or unwritten rules or civility to others.

IMGP0007.jpg

50Flinter-Here's the pic,s- Good shooting....Dan

IMGP0003.jpg

50flinter said:
Dan, thanks for posting the pics for me.
Your welcome..That is a great elk-you have made an outstanding acomplishment! I am proud for you!Elk back staps are my favorite! Enjoy....Dan

Back