• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman rifles, due to their quality, are heavier than other rifles. My 24-inch barreled Deer Stalker weighs about the same as a standard 32 inch Traditions.

For years the Interarms Group made Lyman rifles to
special order in batches. I noticed that the Interarms
gun kits are not available since Covid. Interarms rifles
were always more expensive, but were higher quality
and superb barrels. I do not know who Lyman is using
now for their "private label" gun sources but like all
supply chains things are probably on back order.
Interarms often cooperated with Pedersoli. Is Lyman
now Private Labelling Pedersoli Rifles??

:cool:😁
My perc. Lyman GPR was heavy, lots of that's due to lawyers! I had the bbl. shortened, as I like a handy carbine-length rifle anyway.
Yep, the gun is overbuilt for safety's sake. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but one can make a quality gun lighter but it will cost more. The GPR is without a doubt the best "How can I get a basically correct Hawken without shelling out for a GRRW?" Hawken on the market. But if you are very lucky and/or patient, you can do like me and find a GRRW for less than a new GPR

Good for you.
I have a Sharon RW Hawken I built in the 70s and it’s a percussion. Great rifle and it weighs less than a GPR. Now I want a flint that is no more than 8 lbs. prefer 6.5 but it really depends on the balance for me. Shorter, lighter good balance is my goal but my budget is about 600. That rules out custom guns and Pedersoli!
Still looking at options but with the out of stock situation it’s hard to make a good decision

If what I’ve read is correct there will never be another Lyman Trade rifle or Great Plains rifle. Those rifles were made for Lyman by Investarms. Lyman simply placed their names on them. Lyman has never made rifles. Lyman now has Pedersoli making their rifles and label the Great Plains as the signature series. If you want what used to be marketed as the Lyman trade rifle buy the exact same rifle without the Lyman name stamped on it by Investarms. Same exact rifle by the same maker. On a side note I think that all vendors are currently out of stock just like with all makes of Blackpowder firearms.

Here is a link
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/investarm-muzzleloaders

If what I’ve read is correct there will never be another Lyman Trade rifle or Great Plains rifle. Those rifles were made for Lyman by Investarms. Lyman simply placed their names on them. Lyman has never made rifles. Lyman now has Pedersoli making their rifles and label the Great Plains as the signature series. If you want what used to be marketed as the Lyman trade rifle buy the exact same rifle without the Lyman name stamped on it by Investarms. Same exact rifle by the same maker. On a side note I think that all vendors are currently out of stock just like with all makes of Blackpowder firearms.

Here is a link
Pedersoli is making the Lyman GPRs now.

Here is a link
There may be some subtle differences in the Lyman now that Peder is making them. The new Pedersoli was reviewed recently in Muzzleblasts magazine by Mike Nesbitt.

There may be some subtle differences in the Lyman now that Peder is making them. The new Pedersoli was reviewed recently in Muzzleblasts magazine by Mike Nesbitt.
There is more than subtle differences. I have both. You can look way back in my posts to about a year ago and you can see where I compared the investarms vs the Pedersoli made Great Plains. The Pedersoli gun is nothing like the investarms. The Pedersoli Great Plains is a relabeled Pedersoli hawken.

There is more than subtle differences. I have both. You can look way back in my posts to about a year ago and you can see where I compared the investarms vs the Pedersoli made Great Plains. The Pedersoli gun is nothing like the investarms. The Pedersoli Great Plains is a relabeled Pedersoli hawken.
Thanks; nothing like having both actually in hand to compare something! I have an old Uberti Hawken from back when their barrel address was in New England. Got it at auction over a year ago. I forget the date, have to look that up again. Interesting info, thanks for your post.

I have two Investarms GPR .54s. The 2015 is browned with a light colored stock. The 2018 is blued with very dark wood. Both rifles came to me in excellent probably unfired condition.

Back