• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinter T/C conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCATTERSHOT

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken in percussion with a replacement barrel from Green River. I would like to convert this to flint. I'm thinking a RPL lock and having the GM barrel re-breeched. Anyone see a problem here? Who could re-breech this barrel for me without having to refinish it?

I really miss my flinters, and can't afford a new one right now.

T/C plugs are available so I don't see an issue there.

The new breech is going to be "in the white", so some refinishing is inevitable - perhaps the whole barrel so it won't be noticeable (but maybe not).

Places like Track (or any ML gunsmith for that matter) can re-breech it for you.

Track charges 25 or 30 bucks to change out the plug, plus the cost of getting it there and back, plus the cost of the plug ($30.75 plus shipping from the Gun Works, as an example).

Still somewhere near 100 bucks of barrel work not counting the blueing. Another $148 plus shipping for the L&R RPL flint lock.

At that price you may consider looking for a used flinter. You would have about 300 bucks in "additions" into a rifle that's worth maybe 300 bucks.

Just a thought...

Bob Hoyt in PA can do it but I don't have an address or phone number for him. Someone else will probably chime in. I know he has a good reputation considering his work.

May be cheaper to send him the stock and have him make a barrel for you and you could sell your other one to recoup some of your expense. His barrels are held in high regard. Unless you really like your rifle maybe selling it and buying a flint rifle would make sense economically as well.

Get ahold of Bob and see what he thinks.

Saw pictures of a TC that had the side milled flat a flash hole installed but don't know where that was.

There were some pictures of that here on the forum somewhere. I don't recall the details but it looked like it would work just fine. I picked up a couple of GM percussion drop-ins a few years back to convert to flint and talked to Hoyt about it at the time. I decided to leave them just the way they are.

I have plenty of flinters already and decided to shoot the ones I have a bit more and stop adding more guns to the pile. The only problem is that I need to stock up the powder keg again with all this shooting.

Bob does excellent work. He has done a couple of barrels for me in the past. If he can mill off the snail and install a vent hole, that may be the way to go.

If you recall the thread regarding this conversion, I'd like to see it.

take a look at this thread:http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/243131/

Myself and two others converted percussion TC New Englanders to flint.

roklok said:
take a look at this thread:http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/243131/

Myself and two others converted percussion TC New Englanders to flint.

if I remember, when you mill off the snail, there's a little bit of a dimple which remains. you'll need to fill it in somehow (welding, perhaps) or simply ignore it. I'd go with a weld, but then again, I was never good at pretending something was supposed to be there when my brain said otherwise).

now, some time ago, I scored a few new barrels- check out fleaBay and the gun auction sites, and I had Mr. Hoys ream out a trashedbore .54 to a nice 20 gauge ... haven't turned it to flint though, but it looks to be a pretty straightforward deal...

at the end of the project, i'll have a fifty, a fifty four, and a 20 gauge

:) :wink: :)

Bobby Hoyt's phone number is (717) 642-6696.

He doesn't have a web site (he's too busy working, and since he's too busy working, that of and in itself speaks well of his work). He's often hard to reach, but the extra effort is more that worth the trouble.

His address is 700 Fairfield Station Road, Fairfield, PA 17320

Back