• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint size for Davis early English lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of my building my rifle and I'm about to order the rest of the parts and some flint, but what size should I use for best results with the Davis early English lock? The rifle is a .58

Measure the width of your frizzen.

Set to half cock. Measure from the forward face of the cock jaw screw to the frizzen. Subtract about 1/4".
Round up or down to get whole number measurements, then order the flint that closest matches your measurements.

Track of the wolf if I remember right has reference to what size flint fits what lock, it would either be in the lock or flint sections.

I just looked on Tracks website. Look up what kind of lock you have and below it they will have the recommended flint size.

The flint should be as wide as the frizzen face without striking anything else in it's arc of travel.
It should be long enough to engage the frizzen about 1/3rd down it's length of travel from top. Generally if it strikes much higher the angle is two sharp and it breaks flint and or gouges the frizzen face.
One of the great advantages to learning to knapp your own flints is that you can tailor fit them to the individual locks swing arc and frizzen width.
You can also alter them to strike at different places on the frizzen when it starts to get chewed up in one spot buy manipulating the bevel pitch a bit.

With the hammer/cock at half cock from the jaw screw to the frizzen is about 1.4165, and the frizzen is .910 wide...I'm assuming the 7/8" flints I just ordered are going to be to small?

I apologize as math was never my strong point in school

Track's catalog shows an "Engraved Fowling Gun Flint Lock", #Lock-DF-FR, "An early English styled flint lock", by Davis. If this is your lock, they say "use 7/8" Flint-Eng-7".

Tennessee.45 said:
With the hammer/cock at half cock from the jaw screw to the frizzen is about 1.4165, and the frizzen is .910 wide...I'm assuming the 7/8" flints I just ordered are going to be too small?

I apologize as math was never my strong point in school

A 7/8" wide flint will be 0.875" wide. That's only 0.035" less than the width of your frizzen. You're good on the width. If your leather wrap for the flint is 1/8" thick, you can adjust the flint to be about 1/8" from the face of your frizzen at half cock and still hold the flint securely. I have also used a piece of lacing on the bottom edge of the flint next to the jaw screw to adjust the striking angle of the flint on the frizzen.

I hope you asked ToW to select flints that are flat on the top and bottom (the old "first quality"). You do want to avoid flints with a hump on the top.

Back