• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash suppressor for a muzzle loader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was a daylight shot and you can clearly see the flash. I suppose if you used 20 grns of powder in a long barrel you could reduce your flash signature.

Thanks! I've been busy lately with some line of duty shooting investigations. Will retire in about 1/2 month.

gmww said:
Thanks! I've been busy lately with some line of duty shooting investigations. Will retire in about 1/2 month.
I stayed on the job till I turned 70...retired in Jan this year when I decided this ain't fun anymore. Now I get to make more smoke & flash.
:grin:
2wpsetj.jpg

:shocked2: Its a really good thing I've already fired a flinter once.. Otherwise that pic might just scare me away from them :shocked2: :shocked2:

Still, it IS pretty cool looking. I just wasnt aware the flash beside your head was that BIG

Lonegun1894 said:
The best flash suppressors I have ever seen have been sound suppressors. I have thought about trying one, but (and this is assuming you're in the US like me) even the tax stamp to make one is $200, and while I don't mind cleaning the powder fouling, I have always wondered that the patch would do hitting the internals. Not to even mention that I have been unsuccessful in finding a HC sound suppressor for my MLs. :)

On a more practical note, I really think the guys who suggested adjusting your powder charge are on the best track. As an aside, and I am not trying to be a smart alec, so please forgive me if I am off track here. For hunting purposes, muzzle flash doesn't matter. For combat use, I would think that you would also have to deal with the smoke giving your position away, which would be of more concern to me, and would not be aided in any way by a flash suppressor. Also, since the HC scopes are not of any advantage in low light over iron sights, while a modern scope can help, but is off-limits here, I would also ask what kind of low light you're hunting in that would make the flash a concern? I mean, many of us use a german silver front sight blade because it shows up a little easier in early morning and a little bit later in the evening, but that only really buys us a few extra minutes in the morning and evening, but not enough where the flash would be an issue. May I ask what the purpose would be? Just thinking this sounds like a very specialized weapon you're building so if we know the details of your uses for this we may be able to help a bit more, even if this doesn't sound very HC, but we all need a unique toy at times for one reason or another--or no reason other than we just want it.

For combat situations, I can think of a lot of other choices to reach for before considering my GPR :haha:

For clarification, a modern .30-06 shot right at black dark shows a highly visible couple feet of flame.

Muzzle flash would be one of the things that would give your position away in a survival situation. In low light, the smoke would not be nearly as noticeable.
You better be crouching and/or moving after a shot in the dark no matter what your shooting or what kind of flash guard you have.
If you wanna "survive" you best not shoot.
Re-think your survival plan.

AZbpBurner,
That was partly my point. For survival/covert use, I would much rather trap or bowhunt. And really focus on the traps, since they "hunt" 24/7, and I know I can't. However, as an academic exercise, I think this is interesting to get everyone's opinions because as has been said, it's the dreamers that do the inventing.

Lonegun1894 said:
- it's the dreamers that do the inventing.
Actually, it's the "doers" that make things happen.

Daydreaming about survival with a flash suppressed muzzleloader? Right. :rotf:

capt_turk said:
Muzzle flash would be one of the things that would give your position away in a survival situation. In low light, the smoke would not be nearly as noticeable.

A survival situation? Am I missing something here? When is such a situation likely to occur with a muzzleloader (except in a Hollywood movie)? :confused:

If a muzzle loader is all ya got, then a muzzle loader is what ya got to use.

I don't own a modern firearm. Only muzzle loaders.

necchi said:
You better be crouching and/or moving after a shot in the dark no matter what your shooting or what kind of flash guard you have.
If you wanna "survive" you best not shoot.
Re-think your survival plan.

Shoot and scoot.

Adui said:
Still, it IS pretty cool looking. I just wasnt aware the flash beside your head was that BIG

That just shows that you're a real flint shooter now. You shouldn't be aware of it. The only time I notice anything is on that rare occasion when the gun doesn't go off and all I get is a POOF! and a tiny mushroom cloud rising above the pan. And it's so loud!

Since I'd be shooting a pirate era gun, then I guess I should add and eye patch to the shooting bag.......Arrrrrrgh matey!! :rotf:

Go to Photos Topic Muzzle flash , you will have to scroll back and you will see a typical flash and what will have to be delt with to hide a flash :)

Latest posts

Back