• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fixing loose barrel pin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the barrel to stock fit is correct, a person should never have to remove the barrel from the stock unless some type of repair is needed to the stock or barrel. Same goes for wedged barrel to stock fits. Where many people for years have made the mistake is always assuming they need to remove a barrel from a stock to clean the firearm. Not true at all.

As for a loose pin, a person can push beeswax into the pin hole, rub beeswax on the pin and insert the pin. This will keep the pin from working back out.

As I have said I have never seen any gun that is used hard in the elements that does not need to be taken down and at least dried out.
It simply will not work as you describe especially in salt air environments.
If you have ever had occasion to hunt on the Alaskan chain or Kodiak Island you will quickly see the folly of not pulling the barrel out of the stock on any firearm no matter how well bedded.

Granted there would be exceptions in pulling a barrel, but for many there simply is no reason to.

Yes, I could see that could be true in the high desert of the South West. I spent two years at Holloman AFB New Mexico and don't ever remember getting my gun soaked with any thing but the occasional gully washer.
RIG under the stock on a well bedded gun would probably be enough there.
It would not do here on the chain or near the ocean where it often rains sideways and the salt air or skiff ride spray, would eat them up under the stock if not, rinsed out and dried.

Find the nearest pine tree. Smear a little daub of fresh pine sap along a portion of the pin. Re install the barrel pin. After 24 hours, you will need a pin punch to tap the pin out again. Don't apply pine sap along the entire length of the pin or you will have trouble removing it.
I have also put a very slight bend towards the end of the pin that goes into the stock last.

All my Mlers that are used for hunting have keys for easy bbl removal....even one w/o a hooked breech. Dunking the breech end of a bbl in a bucket of hot water really appeals to me.

Formerly made all my builds w/ keys but many buyers don't want to pay for the addt'l hrs....so the bbls are now pinned......Fred

Latest posts

Back