• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fixing a flash hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsetrader

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a flintlock pistol in new condition. However the flashhole (with liner) seems way to high! 1/16 " over top of pan. In case the gun doesn't work that way - is there a simple fix? E.g. take out liner, replace with threaded rod and drill 1/16" flashhole lower - on the edge of rod.....
Would that fix it? I also understand that most liners are coned on the inside - and with my "fix" :hmm: there would be only a straight hole....

I'd rather have it a tad high than a tad low...It needs to be behind the top of the pan when closed...When the pan powder ignites, the flame will jumps up and into the hole...

I have made liners out of threaded stainless steel and drilled them higher because they were set up too low...

That sounds positive so far for me - I am concerned however that even if the frizzen is closed I can see the flashhole...

horsetrader said:
I am interested in buying a flintlock pistol in new condition. However the flashhole (with liner) seems way to high! 1/16 " over top of pan. In case the gun doesn't work that way - is there a simple fix? E.g. take out liner, replace with threaded rod and drill 1/16" flashhole lower - on the edge of rod.....
Would that fix it? I also understand that most liners are coned on the inside - and with my "fix" :hmm: there would be only a straight hole....

The touch-hole you describe is in the proper position. If you place a straight-edge across the top of the pan and mark the center of this line, that is where the hole should be---above the top edge and centered on the pan.....

Have to agree with Black Hand about that location for the Vent hole. It should be above the top edge of the pan. HEAT rises. The hole is in the right location to quickly ignite the main charge. Just be sure to use a vent pick to open a hole in the powder charge, so that the heat gets to lots of granules of powder in the barrel.

Ignition should sound like " kBOOM!", not "KLATCH--HISSssBOOM".

horsetrader said:
If the closed frizzen covers the vent hole you should be OK. Sounds like it is maybe a tad high but still may be OK. As for the vent replacement, you would be better off with a SS bolt & where the threads stop on the bolt would be the shoulder to be against the barrel.
And you can cone it by installing it & snugging it up good. Cut it off leaving a 1/4" piece on the outside of the barrel to remove it with (like a White-Lightening vent liner) Drill your low hole. Remove it & then cone the Inside of the vent liner you just made using the small hole as the pilot of center. Then reinstall it & cut it off & file flush with the barrel. Then a very light cone on the outside. You should leave .025 to .035 straight wall thickness in the vent hole for wear purposes, as if not the vent hole will enlarge prematurely...... Make sure you vent liner is even or just a tad less that even with the rifling of the bore so it doesn't hang a jag or breech scraper.

:thumbsup:

Since the frizzen closed doesn't cover the hole I will do as you gentleman recommended. new liner with off centered flashole...

Latest posts

Back