• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fix for moisture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfrommd

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum but 50 year BP shooter. If you have some desicant crystals, you can drop a small container (pill bottle with 1/16 holes drilled in it) into your Pyrodex container and it will absorb any moisture and bring the powder close to normal. You can also do this with Holy Black but you have to pour it into a paper bag first.

Never put BP in a plastic bag as moving it around could cause a static electricity build up with bad results.

Now that's some good information right there, I never thought about the plastic bag thing.
Thanks and Kind Regards
Frank Barker

"You can also do this with Holy Black but you have to pour it into a paper bag first."

Why is black powder "Holy Black"? Please inform use why it is HOLY.

"Never put BP in a plastic bag as moving it around could cause a static electricity build up with bad results."

This subject has been beaten to death over the years. Why does mis-information continue to be put forth by those who are not informed?????

Talking on your cell phone while filling your vehicle is more dangerous than what you propose.

New to the forum but 50 year BP shooter. If you have some desicant crystals, you can drop a small container (pill bottle with 1/16 holes drilled in it) into your Pyrodex container and it will absorb any moisture and bring the powder close to normal. You can also do this with Holy Black but you have to pour it into a paper bag first.

Never put BP in a plastic bag as moving it around could cause a static electricity build up with bad results.

Actually Pyrodex has a shelf life, crystals are not going to save it, if the top is on correctly, moisture will not enter the bottle.

BP will last forever if the top is correctly attached, more old wives tales.

They keep coming back.

Welcome!

johnfrommd said:

Would love to see the study or test that proved that statement. Those I have seen were unable to get normal grades of "g" variety powder to ignite with static discharges.

Black powder will work in a flint lock while the performance of synthetic powders is poor at best and unacceptable most of the time.

The performance of black powder should be extolled as the best choice for a muzzle loading firearm, but venerated as Holy, probably not necessarily due to fouling build up and general maintenance while using it and lack of availability in some areas.

Richard Eames said:
Why is black powder "Holy Black"? Please inform use why it is HOLY.

Maybe it comes from "HOLY S**T - did you see that!!!!!!" :wink:

Welcome to the forum...even though your post is getting a thrashing. :wink: It happens to all of us sooner or later, so don't take it personally!

Right in this section on Shooting Accessories...if you look at the top of the topic index, you'll see a bunch of info on Static Electricity and BP...including pictures of zapping BP with no ignition. Check it out! I found it interesting when first viewing it a few years ago as I would have definitely thought BP would ignite that way.

Link to Static Post

"Never put BP in a plastic bag as moving it around could cause a static electricity build up with bad results."

I buy my Black Powder in bulk, 5 pound lots as it is cheaper that way. GOEX packages the 5 pounds lots of powder in a plastic bag which is then placed in a brown paper bag with the information on the outside with a rubber stamp. It's been packaged that way for 40 years that I am aware of.

Misinformation by those who are "mis-informed?" Do you mean such as those who will state that if you aren't putting cereal grains in their revolvers aren't doing it right? That kind of "mis-informed?" Especially on a traditional forum...

Don't worry. He'll soon talk about trophies and such...

Be careful what you use for that desiccant. The synthetic resin-bead type desiccants are fine. OTOH there's some stuff made from lye that shouldn't be used anywhere near black powder.

As others have mentioned, keep your powder in a sealed container & moisture won't be able to get at it.

That Pyrodex shelf life must be in excess of 40 years. I had a partial can of Pyrodex RS given to me in the mid 70's. It was packed in a box of stuff and shipped across country with my tools & stuff. It sat in a garage for 7 years, then storage for another 4-5 years, and finally I discovered it about a year ago in my garage where it was boxed up all forgotten in the home I built 23 years ago. I tried some out, compared it to current production RS, and couldn't tell any difference in performance. I finally used the last of it recently and have gone on to the new can.

I don't know anything about storing BP in plastic bags but when you buy it now it is usually stored in a black plastic containers, at least for Goex. Previously that brand would be sold in metal containers which I also still have some small amount left in the metal can.

I did once have a static spark occur when handing a metal flask to someone else. Nothing happened but it made both of us double take with some concern.

On the old pyrodex issue, I have heard that some people use a small charge of black powder at the ignition portion of the charge to insure it will fire.

I have never tried that myself as even the 20+ year old pyrodex that I own will still ignite.

Static enough to arc in a plastic container does not produce the heat required to detonate BP.
Now something on the order of a lightning strike or static load from a dead power line in a high wind would produce enough heat to detonate BP.

25 years ago I bought 25lbs. of Curtis and Harvey 3f, and they sold it to me in a plastic bag. I guess no one told them about the static. I was more worried about having a wreck on the way home from the store.

Yup! And we used to buy 25-lb bulk Black Powder and pour it into our own cans to distribute to the troops for events. AND yes indeed, it came in plastic bags.

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

Real Black Powder is "Holy Black Powder" because it is the only thing that reliably works in a flintlock.

Yes, you can put a duplex load down the barrel of 5 to 15-gr. of BP and then put your Pyrodex or 777 on top of that and IF you can get a flash to light in the pan, it will ignite that duplex load. Kicker is...you have to use black powder in the pan because the other manure won't light. The substitutes require an ignition temperature that is about 450° higher than what is required to ignite black powder.

You can use the substitutes in percussion guns all day long but if you want your flintlock to really be reliable and go off when you want it to go off...you need black powder. Once you get a supply of it after not having any, you will be thanking the Lord :bow: for sending you some "Holy BP" :doh:

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

Back