• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

AZ - PHX SE valley places to shoot/meet up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shooting meet-up?

I live in the Phoenix-metro area (southeast valley), and go shooting about 1x/month, sometimes more, not often less. I usually go out on my own, but open to shooting with others, and have several excellent National Forest locations less than an hour drive from Tempe. Either off the 60, east of Mesa, or off 87, about 2/3-way to Payson (that was, at least until they closed the area due to fire damage).

Also, I save my recycling plastic bottles and containers, then fill 'em with water for targets. I always pack out more than I brought with me, and usually go home with two or three 55-gallon bags full of shooting debris.

I don't always shoot BP, but always bring at least one BP revolver with me. If you're interested, send me a message and I can let you know when I go (usually Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, early morning until about noon, typically with a day's notice).

I think that if you met a ranger while packing out a bunch of trash, they would likely be ok with your preferred target. It isn’t however one of the approved targets in Tonto National Forest. Not trying to discourage you, just knowing is half the battle. I like aluminum cans for my unmentionables and always pick up ALL of my trash as well.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD564288

There is a rendezvous in Rhy, AZ about 15 miles south of Payson off Hwy 87 next month. More info in the "shooting clubs section". There is also the Rio Saladio shooting range just NE of Phoenix.

sorry I didn't notice the post sooner.

Rio Salado Sportsman's Club on Usury Pass Rd has twice a month black powder shoot
director just sent the email a few minutes ago: Nov 18th and 28th, one of those is a weekend one a weekday.
Cactus Cappers at Ben Avery does too.
their director emailed a few days ago: " next practice day is Saturday Nov. 6th at the small bore range from 7 am till noon. The next match is Nov. 21 "

I'm watching a youtube video of flintlock hunting in PA right now and according to recent news from AZGFD my flintlock and I have an appointment with a Javelina in February.

shoot good!

Someone posted abt ben avery clays months ago, so I asked one of the range manager guys who ride around in golf carts, Carl C i think is how he spells it.

I told him that main public range rules state load at back bench, prime/cap at firing bench. So i would (when i bring a ML SG) load in the shotgun rack, cap in the cage when I'm ready to fire. He said it sounfs like a good procedure.

I have not yet brought a ML to avery's CTC, but i plan to print out a copy of the main range rules showing ML procedure, and CTC rules which don't mention ML, just in case i get in a conversation with someone other than Carl C.

Cactus Cappers, the ML group at Ben Avery, just emailed this today: "Our next shoot is on Sunday July 17th from 7 am till noon at the small bore range. It will be hot so get there early so we can leave early. The next shoot after that is Saturday, August 13th, same time and place. Hope you all can make it. TR"

check the RSSC calendar for their twice-a-month event Rio Salado Sportsman's Club – The East Valley's Premier Outdoor Shooting Range it was today.

Poole

Someone posted abt ben avery clays months ago, so I asked one of the range manager guys who ride around in golf carts, Carl C i think is how he spells it.

I told him that main public range rules state load at back bench, prime/cap at firing bench. So i would (when i bring a ML SG) load in the shotgun rack, cap in the cage when I'm ready to fire. He said it sounfs like a good procedure.

I have not yet brought a ML to avery's CTC, but i plan to print out a copy of the main range rules showing ML procedure, and CTC rules which don't mention ML, just in case i get in a conversation with someone other than Carl C.
oh funny.... one year almost to the day since posting this.... I finally got around to bringing the ML shotgun to Ben Avery CTC. I shot 2 shots (more at a coupla stations) at each of the 8 stations on the "quail" course (smallest and most "beginner-friendly" of Avery's 4 sporting clays courses). I hit about 50%... I think, hard to tell if you hit the clay or not behind that cloud of smoke. RO Carl C was there and pleased to see I brought the "Muscle Loader", lots of other range staff and shooters stopped to watch and ask questions. I loaded at the gun rack and primed in the cage. Used the "solo delay" on the thrower since I was there by myself.

Felt like Ben Avery CTC was very welcoming to Muzzle Loader SG's. if any of you are in or planning a trip to phoenix: AZGFD

Poole

Last year, early 2021, when I called Ben Avery, they told me blackpowder was ok, as in shot-shells loaded with black powder, but no muzzleloading shotguns. So I guess that has changed? That would be great because they are so much closer to me than Usery.

most likely the person who answered the phone had no knowledge.

Shooting a ML probably would not work as well on a busy weekend day on a trap or skeet field due to the timing & sequence of when shooters shoot. but sporting clays, where you can let the other group shoot first while you load and they continue on, its just fine.

I saw someone else shooting a ML on the "quail" sporting clays field several months ago, so I'm not the only one.

It would be kinda cool to go out with another ML shooter, we could watch each others clays break. shoot good! hopefully I'll see y out there some time!

Poole

oh wow.... one year and one day since I last posted, I finally got the Pedersoli out to Avery yesterday. bounced a few ounces off the patterning board, tried out the loading method of using loose corncob media instead of a cushion wad (much faster to load), then went to the quail course, hit a few, missed a few.

Poole

Back