• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fitting hammers on a DB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSHumburg

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a Charles Moore English double that is in very nice and shootable condition with the excepton of missing hammers. I have a set of investment cast ones from Dixie that I believe have the correct throw and I can fit. I assume that the hammer should rest on the nipple while still under tension from the mainspring. Is there any standard "correct" amount of rotation of the hammer, or tension in the mainspring when the hammer is in the down position on the nipple? Any great advice in fitting these optimally?

DSH

I don't know if this would be a standard, but try to have the hammer positioned so the half-cock notch allows you to easily fit a cap on the nipple. I'm speaking room for the cap, here.
The rest of it ain't real rocket science; IMHO its the mass/momentum of the hammer that does the job of busting the cap, and not the precise amount of mainspring tension.

It is a matter of preference, but I prefer my hammers to be just about 1/8" to 3/16" above the nipple. These will keep the cap from coming off going through the brush and if a sear were to fail, you probably will not have enough hammer force to snap the cap. Just also make sure, for appearance sake, that the hammers click back in unison. JMHO
It is not real hard to set the hammers on the gun. Just take your time, and taper the square hole for a snug fit. It is time comsuming, but heck, if they last another 120 yrs. who cares.If you need help, just hollar.

One trick that helps is to figure out just where you want the pivot point to be on the hammer blanks drill this hole for a slip fit to the screw you will be using. Now tin the backs of the hammer with ordnary lead solder, run the screw threw the hammer and into the tumbler until it is just firm, but not too tight. Now position the hammer exactly where you want it to be. After this is done a sharp rap with a rawhide mallet will leave an imprint in the thin wash of solder on the back of the hammer, a perfect reference for filing the square hole.

I agree with Leathermoose and Dave. Set the tumblers on your locks to half-cock and position the hammers to the minimum amount of clearance of the nipple you feel will work for you. If you're in the habit of using a capper, this amount can be very small. I like about 1/4", myself, because I don't always use a capping device, but to each his own.

Mr. Johnson - I like your tip on how to fit new hammers. I've got such a project and I'll use your method. Thanks! :hatsoff:

Back