• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First try at relief carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I plunged into this without buying an instructional video or reading a book on relief carving, but thanks to Mike Brook's tutorial and the postings on this board, my latest project is starting to take shape. I'm not done with the carving yet, but am happy with what I have so far. I'm still trying to figure out what to carve behind the tang. None of the pictures that I have show this part of the rifle. Any suggestions?

Bedfordriflecarving.JPG

Nice work! (It came out a lot better than my first try.) You might want to check out Wallace Gussler's video. Google up technical video rentals- there are abunch of other neat videos there which i'll rent when i have th time. the video on relief carving was really excellent, and the cost is very reasonable.

Good luck

MSW

MSW said:
Nice work! (It came out a lot better than my first try.) You might want to check out Wallace Gussler's video. Google up technical video rentals- there are abunch of other neat videos there which i'll rent when i have th time. the video on relief carving was really excellent, and the cost is very reasonable.

Good luck

MSW

Tech Video Rental is ace IMHO, I have used them for a while now .. alot of great stuff to learn there! :thumbsup:

Davy

It looks beautiful. Very nice lines.

Hit it with stain and don't be afraid to touch up the boo boo's with sand paper and use stain again until it's just right. I just about cried when I did that the first time. I thought I had everything perfect and the instant I put on the stain, the blemishes popped.

Regards

Another thing you can try before the stain is getting some more lighting at a low angle to the surface of the stock and keep changing the angles and moving the light and any uneven areas can be seen then stain. I believe you will find less touch up work will need to be done than going to the stain right away.
Just a thought.

Regards, Dave

You're doing a good job. Rocco art is flowing lines. I'm not the best at it, but with each new rifle I get alittle better. My first attempt looked nothing like yours, it was alot worse. I had no reference books, nothing to look at, to compare and emulate. Looking back at the pictures the forward carving looks pretty good, graceful and flowing. They use the "golden mean". Which is based on the Spiral of the Nautilas shell. The more you see others work. the better you can see your mistakes and how to improve on them. Relief carving is such an attractive feature. Some people can do it, some people can't grasp the technic. You CAN do it, and are doing very well at it. You just need to polish up your rough edges. .....George F.

I agree, the rear carving doesn't quite follow the golden mean, but I was copying an original John Amos pattern. Some of the Bedford carvings look like they were done by a cub scout with a machete.

Hello my name is John and I am new to the forum. I think that this is nice work. I am building and Isaac Haynes right now and have been drafting some C-scroll patterns.

Thanks

Back