• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Squirrel of the 2011-2012 Season!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Went squirrel hunting late this afternoon around 4ish and took my Pedersoli 12 ga. sxs shotgun to see if I could go bust a tree rat. I sat down at a place or two and tried calling them with my caller but they weren't out that much or talkative. Towards the end of walking the draw which I sometimes call my "squirrel honey hole" I was crossing the dry creek bottom and see on scaling down a tree and move in closer on the other bank and bust him. I have never seen so much smoke from a muzzleloader in my life on this shot :haha:. I guess it's just the atmosphere today because it took forever for the smoke to settle on this. I used 80 gr. 2ffg blackpowder, 4 overshot cards, 1 1/8 oz. of #6s, and an over shot card seated with a greased patch to lube the barrel. This load works out to about 25 yards in the cylinder barrel and about 30 in the modified choke barrel. You could probably kill them farther with it but I don't want to take risks like that.
HPIM0438.jpg

And yes Swampy and Scobrien, that is Swampy's bag he made for me and the measure you can see if you look real close was made by Scobrien. The measure isn't for this gun but I keep it on my bag at all times because I don't wanna undo the knot I have it secured to the bag with. :idunno:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats on the first one.Man you guys have an early opener.Griz

Actually Missouri opens months before ours on May 21st I believe, or something like that :hmm:.

Good goin' Luie. Squirrel gravy and bisquits. :hatsoff:
I have not been out yet, but I plan to go real soon.

Nice bag! :thumbsup:

I have a break from school the kids and I are going real soon. And scouting for bow season of course.

:thumbsup: Congrats!! (don't tell anyone.. but squirrel hunting is one of my favorites) :thumbsup:

I'm on an acre and 1/2 and got squirrels and bunnies everywhere(plus bears,racoons and turkeys). Wonder if my neighbors would mind if I let my 10 gauge go a few times? I don't quite qualify with the 1500 ft. minimum building distance to discharge a firearm. Its frustrating because I can go out in the woods and never see anything to shoot at, come home and they're standing there thumbing their noses at me :blah:

KanawhaRanger said:
Well, if I want to stay legal I have to wait till the second Saturday in October.

Just found out they bumped our squirrel season up to September 10th! Be nice if I could get my new .32 finished in time.

Back