• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Shooting Pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished my first shooting pouch. It's an attempt at a late 18th century style - 1780s or 90s; lined with pillow ticking. My wife made the strap for me out of felted wool. No, the stitches aren't exactly straight, and I've seen far fancier and nicer ones out there, but this is my skill level now, and hopefully it's a decent version of a common homemade pouch. Now, should I leave it the current color, and just let it accumulate wear and "character," or should I try to stain/age it?

shootingbag7.jpg

By the way, I made the horn last summer, the knife is a TOW French skinnner (the idea just occurred to me to sew a sheath onto the back of the pouch or on the front under the flap), and the gun is a Bill Douglas version of a Richards trade gun in 16 ga.
shootingbag5.jpg

shootingbag3.jpg

shootingbag.jpg

By the way, my wife said that she'd be glad to make more straps. :) She crochets them and then felts them to tighten them up. Seems to work well from my point of view...

Nice gear !! I'd oil it and let handling and nature take it's coarse. Great job. :hatsoff:

IF it were my bag, which it isnt...
I would rub it down with a mix of bee's wax and olive oil. it will darken it some and also aid in making it alittle more water resistant.
You did a fine job :thumbsup:

...now what I Cant get over id the stock on your flinter! Wow!

Your wifeshould post her straps in the classifieds, I think they would move!

Don't see but one problem! You got one and I ain't! :rotf: :rotf: :hatsoff:
Don't worry about the stiching too much, alot of straight is, practice and the line. You can use a scribe to mark equal distance of edge of leather and the more carefully you punch/drill the holes has alot to do with straight also! Iam still practicing! :grin:
Strap looks great!

That is a very nice set of things you got there. I like the bag and the knife. The wood on that gun is outstanding. Can you tell us a bit more about what cal is, etc.

Thanks,
Billk

Kevin, that is excellent work.
Your wife did an excellent job on the straps.
Beautiful work. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I like the pouch it has charachter, and i'll go ahead and put an order in for a strap if she starts selling them as I was just wondering what to do with a pouch I have that needs a strap.

Thanks for all the kind words! I'll post some more photos of the trade gun shortly _i did post some a while back, but I'll repeat them, and I've convinced my wife that there's interest in the crocheted straps. I'll put an ad in the classifieds. Thanks again for the input!

Here's the trade gun again. It's actually a version of a Richard Wilson gun. It has a short bbl., 24", and it's in 16 ga. It was built 15-20 years ago by Bill Douglas for a friend (ChuckPa). I coveted it for a long time until Chuck built a NW Trade gun for himself and traded it to me.

tradegun6.jpg

tradegun4.jpg

It handles nicely, but I haven't been able to hit much with it with a roundball, although it patterns decently with shot at short range. Have to keep trying and hopefully I'll stumble on the right formula.

colmoultrie,
Great looking gear!Personally,if it were mine,
I would darken the bag up a bit.That is just me though.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Back