• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this a good deal for a first forge for small work ex. Firesteels, turnscrews, S hooks?
Seller is asking two hundo

17 inches tall with legs by 9 inches
11 lb

1679502338988.jpeg

Last edited:
Why gas for smaller pieces?
With coal you typically have to cover the item you are heating to get it to the heat of the fire. With gas the item sits on a firebrick. This lets you see the item which lets you monitor the heat. You will melt some small pieces at first until you learn to judge the heat of a coal setup by sound and time. Also you spend quite a bit of time working the fire with coal. Gas is faster to get going and doesn’t require any fire tending. This means more forging gets done.

On the other hand, the coal forge, being open on top makes it easier to work large pieces that won’t even fit into the small gas forge.

Just as Bnewberry says coal takes time and experience to get it right. Gas on the other hand is immediate and most people know how to control a gas fire. Get yourself some fire bricks and place them into a fire box shape then use a propane hardware torch to supply the fire - look on YouTube for ideas - simple and effective.

I bought one of those blowers from an outfit in Washington state to power a charcoal forge, and it just didn't have enough output for my purposes. (I had been spoiled by the WHOOSH! of a Champion No. 40.) But properly matched with the right fuel and forge it might do just fine.

Check out the 1 brick forge, just be aware that you need to get a Soft firebrick. The hard ones won't work, no idea why.
The hard ones are hard and to drill a hole in one is not an easy task. The soft firebrick is very easy to drill into. That's why :ThankYou:

For a cheap beginner forge get some 2” firebricks where they sell wood stoves. Make a rectangular tunnel leaving a space on top. Buy a weed burner torch from harbor freight and use a 20lb propane tank. It’ll do for general forging but not welding and it’s cheap. With a coal fire you need to have a forge large enough to coke the fuel and you spend a fair amount of your time shaping and tending to the fire.

Back