• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First day turkey with a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoothy ,I think you miss read me. Walking up over dogs means you spring thye birds into the air 'Afore you Shooooooooooooot at 'em. Little Bu-- ers dote 'af gooooo. LOL.. :dunno: :ghostly::horseback:
I’ve shot wild pheasants. It wasn’t that hard, believe me. Definitely not jealous of your game shooting over there.
Have you ever noticed how game rich this country is, y’all have nothing on us. Good thing we won, so we wouldn’t have to put up with attitudes like yours over here lol!!!
You should come over and try Walked up Lincolnshire Pheasants in Wet kale or Sprout on a January day with several days frost and rain. Most visiters only do it once .We live here.LOL.. OLD DOG..

Agreed-Ground shooting-Not my scene
They have never felt the thill of a big horse between your knees over a Big bank with hounds in fiull cry. Almost as good as the first night of a Honey moon.. OLD DOG..
And you, and Feltwad, have not had the thrill of your 1st soft hen call in the dim light of dawn being responded to with thunderous gobbling from still roosted tom turkeys.
Neither of you have experienced working a bird for hours, the excitement building, the bird getting closer,,,, only to mysteriously hang up and not come closer, or worse, disappear. The excitement of a couple of birds so close you don't dare move to get the gun in position because there are too many highly tuned eyes catching anything that twitches.

Once again,,,, because apparently we can't make this clear to you two,,,,, I'll double space it, maybe then each word can sink in,,,,

The thrill and challenge, is not in the shot (though that head shot is not easy often times) it is in what it takes takes to get that shot opportunity.
It is a, "pleasure of process."
The calling and getting, or not getting, a response.
The many other challenges that these birds present in just getting an opportunity to pull the trigger.

I tried to speak slowly....

Often it is the many other things a turkey hunter gets to experience. Coyotes coming to the call and snatching decoys. Other predators responding to the calling. The many other animals seen close up as one sits stone still and as well camouflaged as can be.

Even if you two don't get it...
That's fine. You don't have to.
None of us really care if you two approve of it either.
Just move on and don't comment.
You are correct, I have no experience fox hunting on horseback. No interest.
So,,,,, I don't comment on it or share my thoughts about it.
But seeing as you brought it up here, where you two wish to denigrate something you know nothing about,,,,
Hunting is a blood-sport. Killing of a living thing is involved.
We eat the turkey. Maybe uses other parts for various things. We eat the pheasant, pen raised or not (I have a special loathing for one who wastes game), or the partridge, rabbit, woodcock, or squirrel. And poor and wealthy alike can generally find some way to participate and enjoy the benefits.
Fox hunting is a killing "sport." The fox is not table fare. It could have been killed by other means if we are to say it is being killed because it is a problem to game birds, poultry farming, etc. They are a wonderful challenge much like turkey hunting to call in for a kill.
But you choose to use an "sport" exclusive to the few as your example.
To you our turkey hunting looks like a simple headshot of a bird on the ground.
Your mounted fox hunt looks like a killing game for the over-privileged and elite to me.
This may not be 100% accurate. But neither are your, and especially Feltwad's, disparagments of turkey hunting. I'm sure the riding and such is fun and exciting, I have not experienced it, therefore I usually don't comment on it.
I purposefully do not open and comment on Feltwad's game/hunting threads. But, apparently we are beneath him in his view to the point he can not extend the same courtesy.

Last edited:
For our cousins across the pond and since I don't want to start any arguments amongst turkey hunters, you'll have to take our word for it that the most ethical way to hunt wild turkey is to call them in and shoot them on the ground. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in why I feel this way. Perhaps the idea of shooting birds on the wing is so ingrained within you character, having had it beat into you by fellow hunters, that one wouldn't feel comfortable with doing otherwise, even knowing that it is the most ethical/sporting way. Which is too bad. Reading @Brokennock 's description, gives me goose bumps.

And you, and Feltwad, have not had the thrill of your 1st soft hen call in the dim light of dawn being responded to with thunderous gobbling from still roosted tom turkeys.
Neither of you have experienced working a bird for hours, the excitement building, the bird getting closer,,,, only to mysteriously hang up and not come closer, or worse, disappear. The excitement of a couple of birds so close you don't dare move to get the gun in position because there are too many highly tuned eyes catching anything that twitches.

Once again,,,, because apparently we can't make this clear to you two,,,,, I'll double space it, maybe then each word can sink in,,,,

The thrill and challenge, is not in the shot (though that head shot is not easy often times) it is in what it takes takes to get that shot opportunity.
It is a, "pleasure of process."
The calling and getting, or not getting, a response.
The many other challenges that these birds present in just getting an opportunity to pull the trigger.

I tried to speak slowly....

Often it is the many other things a turkey hunter gets to experience. Coyotes coming to the call and snatching decoys. Other predators responding to the calling. The many other animals seen close up as one sits stone still and as well camouflaged as can be.

Even if you two don't get it...
That's fine. You don't have to.
None of us really care if you two approve of it either.
Just move on and don't comment.
You are correct, I have no experience fox hunting on horseback. No interest.
So,,,,, I don't comment on it or share my thoughts about it.
But seeing as you brought it up here, where you two wish to denigrate something you know nothing about,,,,
Hunting is a blood-sport. Killing of a living thing is involved.
We eat the turkey. Maybe uses other parts for various things. We eat the pheasant, pen raised or not (I have a special loathing for one who wastes game), or the partridge, rabbit, woodcock, or squirrel. And poor and wealthy alike can generally find some way to participate and enjoy the benefits.
Fox hunting is a killing "sport." The fox is not table fare. It could have been killed by other means if we are to say it is being killed because it is a problem to game birds, poultry farming, etc. They are a wonderful challenge much like turkey hunting to call in for a kill.
But you choose to use an "sport" exclusive to the few as your example.
To you our turkey hunting looks like a simple headshot of a bird on the ground.
Your mounted fox hunt looks like a killing game for the over-privileged and elite to me.
This may not be 100% accurate. But neither are your, and especially Feltwad's, disparagments of turkey hunting. I'm sure the riding and such is fun and exciting, I have not experienced it, therefore I usually don't comment on it.
I purposefully do not open and comment on Feltwad's game/hunting threads. But, apparently we are beneath him in his view to the point he can not extend the same courtesy.
Maybe another example
Feltwad
100_1544.JPG

For our cousins across the pond and since I don't want to start any arguments amongst turkey hunters, you'll have to take our word for it that the most ethical way to hunt wild turkey is to call them in and shoot them on the ground. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in why I feel this way. Perhaps the idea of shooting birds on the wing is so ingrained within you character, having had it beat into you by fellow hunters, that one wouldn't feel comfortable with doing otherwise, even knowing that it is the most ethical/sporting way. Which is too bad. Reading @Brokennock 's description, gives me goose bumps.
Very well put.
Although I'm on the wrong side of the pond I do get where you are coming from and I have no issue with taking game from the ground. Heck, I've never seen a rabbit or hare over here fly high enough to be called a " sporting" shot by some of my brethren! As it happens grouse in Britain are shot very often just a few feet off the deck. Wood pigeons and crows are often shot just as they touch down.
I don't see why someone should get in such a flap about it! Ha, see what I just did there 😁.
I think it is a real shame that the OP has had his celebratory report to us hijacked with negativity when he has done nothing wrong!

It's like busting in on someone's wedding anniversary party and because they themselves were never married saying something miserable to the couple! I mean we'll, you just wouldn't do it would you! Not that is unless you were crazy or just mean maybe. Either way your gonna look bad or real dumb doing it. So why bother!

Very well put.
Although I'm on the wrong side of the pond I do get where you are coming from and I have no issue with taking game from the ground. Heck, I've never seen a rabbit or hare over here fly high enough to be called a " sporting" shot by some of my brethren! As it happens grouse in Britain are shot very often just a few feet off the deck. Wood pigeons and crows are often shot just as they touch down.
I don't see why someone should get in such a flap about it! Ha, see what I just did there 😁.
I think it is a real shame that the OP has had his celebratory report to us hijacked with negativity when he has done nothing wrong!

It's like busting in on someone's wedding anniversary party and because they themselves were never married saying something miserable to the couple! I mean we'll, you just wouldn't do it would you! Not that is unless you were crazy or just mean maybe. Either way your gonna look bad or real dumb doing it. So why bother!
The kettle calling the frying pan grimy:doh:
Feltwad

Don’t like fall turkey hunting? After all; our pioneer ancestors hunted turkeys in the fall. More so, I would think than in the spring. I believe it’s a greater challenge to take a fall gobbler than a spring gobbler. The season is also much shorter.
Maybe you are jealous that we can hunt these magnificent birds here in the US? Lots more challenge than shooting driven pheasants.🤪
personally I would much rather hunt them in fall instead of spring. Just feels right. We had a fall season for a while in my part of Tennessee but it is now closed in my county. Good job with a great bird and a fantastic fowler.

personally I would much rather hunt them in fall instead of spring. Just feels right. We had a fall season for a while in my part of Tennessee but it is now closed in my county. Good job with a great bird and a fantastic fowler.
The biologist in my neck of the woods do a pretty good job managing turkeys. I’ll hunt fall or spring, but prefer spring because of the “rut”.

Maybe someone should tell Feltwad the two ways we hunt black bear in the lower 48?

I dump a whole bunch of bread, dognuts, cookies, candy, anything tasty in the woods. Wait for the bear to show up, and shoot him while he stands still 30 yards away. Super easy, nothing to go wrong.

*It also takes months of work planning, scouting, and gathering bait. A whole freezer to hold said bait. You have to have the ability to walk in a long way in the thickest forests you can find carrying the bait. Your earlier months of scouting found a possible good spot near possible bedding areas. You never see bear, they may as well be ghosts, so you can only go on intuition. Then through years of experience, you learn that dumping food on the ground isn't good enough, so you figure out scent so they can find it. You then set out at least another bait a few miles away, two more being good, as not all of them get hit. Then rebait regularly until the bears are going to one consistently. Run out of bait, and the bears move on, and never come back.

Then finally after all that, this year being 2600 miles of driving, you may or may not have a bear consistently going to one of your baits. If you do, then yes, the hunting is easy. You just sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Last year it was 3 days in horrible storms. This year it was the first afternoon. And yes, if you ignore all of that, the shooting is easy. They are black blobs in dense forest, but they do hold still at close range, and are not that hard to kill.

Maybe someone should tell Feltwad the two ways we hunt black bear in the lower 48?

I dump a whole bunch of bread, dognuts, cookies, candy, anything tasty in the woods. Wait for the bear to show up, and shoot him while he stands still 30 yards away. Super easy, nothing to go wrong.

*It also takes months of work planning, scouting, and gathering bait. A whole freezer to hold said bait. You have to have the ability to walk in a long way in the thickest forests you can find carrying the bait. Your earlier months of scouting found a possible good spot near possible bedding areas. You never see bear, they may as well be ghosts, so you can only go on intuition. Then through years of experience, you learn that dumping food on the ground isn't good enough, so you figure out scent so they can find it. You then set out at least another bait a few miles away, two more being good, as not all of them get hit. Then rebait regularly until the bears are going to one consistently. Run out of bait, and the bears move on, and never come back.

Then finally after all that, this year being 2600 miles of driving, you may or may not have a bear consistently going to one of your baits. If you do, then yes, the hunting is easy. You just sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Last year it was 3 days in horrible storms. This year it was the first afternoon. And yes, if you ignore all of that, the shooting is easy. They are black blobs in dense forest, but they do hold still at close range, and are not that hard to kill.
I thought we were talking about turkeys and a feeder not bears I understand they can smell bait a long way off just like our vermin foxes etc. but if a turkey is like our wing vermin or game birds they will soon congregate around a feeder too feed so scent to me has nothing to do with it like a bear so why use a caller .
Feltwad

Back