• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First day turkey with a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose its like the people that condemned fox hunting because of Oscar Wildes' quote “The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!”

They never tried it but it was a catchy phrase from a popular pervert. You have never tried your hand at it, so how would you know.
Robby

Your quote does not come into it all I said is [Everybody to his own but it is not for me ] so what is wrong with that ?
Feltwad
As the original poster, I will comment again on Feltwads post.

I firmly believe in free speech. However; that carries some distinct responsibilities with it. The implied message Feltwad posted seems to be disparaging of turkey hunting in general. Posting that message instead of remaining silent shows poor manners and opens up negative responses directed back to the poster. Feltwad needs to come to the US and actually go turkey hunting with a muzzleloader. After a few days/ weeks of just trying to see a turkey, he may change his mind. I-have hunted turkeys for over 30 years and have worked hard to get good at it. I still normally need to put in many days and dozens of hours just to get in range of any turkey. Getting in range of a big gobbler in the fall is dang near impossible sometimes. I have a friend that has hunted hard for many years and never got a shot with a modern shotgun.
so, come on over, Feltwad. I will even let you hunt my property.

Your quote does not come into it all I said is [Everybody to his own but it is not for me ] so what is wrong with that ?
Feltwad
Like others have said, you can’t help but post in a turkey hunting thread.
You obviously have no clue how challenging turkey hunting can be!
So, I would challenge you to just admit your shortcomings, and stop posting in turkey threads, since it’s always negative?!!
Go shoot those tame pen raised birds and have a good day!!!

Like others have said, you can’t help but post in a turkey hunting thread.
You obviously have no clue how challenging turkey hunting can be!
So, I would challenge you to just admit your shortcomings, and stop posting in turkey threads, since it’s always negative?!!
Go shoot those tame pen raised birds and have a good day!!!
Tame pen raised pheasants high pheasants are truly wild in November that's why a lot foreign shooters come to the Uk Americans included so come too the UK and shoot a good sporting bird not like your game farm pheasants released the morning of the shoot or is just plain jealous .of our game shooting. All I said was every body to his own but not for me if hiding behind a turkey tail and shooting a turkey head of at 5 to 10 yards that to me is not sport Well I say it again it is just plain jealousy on Uk game shooting which something that you have not got Goodbye
Feltwad

All I said was every body to his own but not for me
Why keep saying it?
You clearly don't understand that the challenge is trying to even get a chance at that shot.
It isn't the entire U.S. that has stocked "put and take" pheasant hunting. There are plenty of places out west that have truly wild birds,,, not even out out a few months before,,, they are there year round.

If you don't/can't, or won't m, understand the true challenges of turkey hunting,,,, why not just shut up about it.

Tame pen raised pheasants high pheasants are truly wild in November that's why a lot foreign shooters come to the Uk Americans included so come too the UK and shoot a good sporting bird not like your game farm pheasants released the morning of the shoot or is just plain jealous .of our game shooting. All I said was every body to his own but not for me if hiding behind a turkey tail and shooting a turkey head of at 5 to 10 yards that to me is not sport Well I say it again it is just plain jealousy on Uk game shooting which something that you have not got Goodbye
Feltwad
I am not arguing with you about the sport you choose. Here is a map where pheasants over generations (people generations) are wild. It is inaccurate to call the vast majority of American pheasants farm raised, though they are stocked in some places.
1635287558057.png

I am not arguing with you about the sport you choose. Here is a map where pheasants over generations (people generations) are wild. It is inaccurate to call the vast majority of American pheasants farm raised, though they are stocked in some places.
View attachment 101306
Thank you for that info. There is more there in places I never realized.
Where did you get the map?

That map is totally useless; living in Pa, I can assure you, there are no more wild pheasants in our state. They tried for over 12 years and failed. That map might be good for the historical range of where wild pheasants used to survive, but it sure isnt accurate for 2021.

Feltwad
I’ve shot wild pheasants. It wasn’t that hard, believe me. Definitely not jealous of your game shooting over there.
Have you ever noticed how game rich this country is, y’all have nothing on us. Good thing we won, so we wouldn’t have to put up with attitudes like yours over here lol!!!

That map is totally useless; living in Pa, I can assure you, there are no more wild pheasants in our state. They tried for over 12 years and failed. That map might be good for the historical range of where wild pheasants used to survive, but it sure isnt accurate for 2021.

Does that really surprise anyone? Ring-necked pheasant are from the plains of China. From the pictures I've seen of their native grounds, you could swear they were the Dakotas, if not for the different crops and tons of houses today. Surprise, surprise, pheasants have taken the strongest hold in the Dakota's and surrounding plains. They live completely wild, they are not released birds. I've never seen a pheasant in the pine forests of Minnesota, and I've never seen one in the rocky mountains. I don't know why anyone would expect pheasants to make it on the tiny bit of open country Pennsylvania has, especially with the density of hunters there.

Does that really surprise anyone? Ring-necked pheasant are from the plains of China. From the pictures I've seen of their native grounds, you could swear they were the Dakotas, if not for the different crops and tons of houses today. Surprise, surprise, pheasants have taken the strongest hold in the Dakota's and surrounding plains. They live completely wild, they are not released birds. I've never seen a pheasant in the pine forests of Minnesota, and I've never seen one in the rocky mountains. I don't know why anyone would expect pheasants to make it on the tiny bit of open country Pennsylvania has, especially with the density of hunters there.
You know, I guess that’s why I love upland game so much. Grouse and turkeys in the mountains. Quail in the scrub. Pheasants and prairie chickens in the plains. Woodcock in the marshes and thickets. You can go anywhere and find nice clean birds to hunt. I haven’t hunted woodcock or grouse yet. Getting a dog on Sunday and then its game on. I’d also like to hunt guinea fowl. My bucket list though is to hunt Rio Grande wild turkeys in Hawaii and Ocellated turkeys in Guatemala. The perfect spring turkey season would go Gould’s first, then Merriam’s, Rio in Hawaii, big ol’ Eastern, track to Florida for the Osceola and top off the world slam with an Oscillated in Central America.

Why Hawaii for a Rio? If you just want to go to Hawaii I can understand that. Luckily I can get a Merriam's, Rio, and Eastern right here in South Dakota, although I'd have to be somewhat lucky to draw three tags in a year, and it would probably have to be both spring and fall to get all 3.

I really enjoyed fishing in Florida, but I'm not sure how I feel about hunting it. It is a very populated state, and not friendly to hunting at all, at least unless you own land. I think Ocellated turkeys are very cool looking birds, way different than any other turkey by far. That said, hunting them isn't really a DIY thing, and mainly takes place on ranches. They aren't on my bucket list.

What is on my bucket list though is a northern Mexico both Gould's turkey, and Coues deer. I'd rather go for Caribou or Moose in Alaska first.

Why Hawaii for a Rio? If you just want to go to Hawaii I can understand that. Luckily I can get a Merriam's, Rio, and Eastern right here in South Dakota, although I'd have to be somewhat lucky to draw three tags in a year, and it would probably have to be both spring and fall to get all 3.

I really enjoyed fishing in Florida, but I'm not sure how I feel about hunting it. It is a very populated state, and not friendly to hunting at all, at least unless you own land. I think Ocellated turkeys are very cool looking birds, way different than any other turkey by far. That said, hunting them isn't really a DIY thing, and mainly takes place on ranches. They aren't on my bucket list.

What is on my bucket list though is a northern Mexico both Gould's turkey, and Coues deer. I'd rather go for Caribou or Moose in Alaska first.
My wife and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and I just think it would be really special to get a turkey there. Like the Oscillated, it is not DIY. I just think that staying at a ranch in Hawaii hunting turkeys sounds like the lap of luxury. Probably lay a lot of money for it too. Here in the Superstition Mountains just outside of Phoenix they have record Couse. My dad has a shed from one. Those little bastards love to hang out in catclaw. Bring your hedge clippers and I mean that literally.

Every body to his own but not for me
Feltwad
Agreed-Ground shooting-Not my scene,Even with a Flinter.. Game book 2001 shows 4 walked up Woodcock to my Flint gun in a Deer park behind the Old Race Curcuit, on the side of the Trent the day my Lab. DEVA was bitten by an Adder. Big Vet bills but she servived. Top of my Avatar..OLD DOG..

Last edited:
Agreed-Ground shooting-Not my scene,Even with a Flinter.. Game book 2001 shows 4 walked up Woodcock to my Flint gun in a Deer park on the side of the Trent the day my Lab. gripe was bitten by an Adder. Big Vet bills but she servived. Top of my Avatar..OLD DOG..
Oh, so do you see woodcock sitting on the ground? I've never found one sitting, would love to so I could shoot it.

I suppose its like the people that condemned fox hunting because of Oscar Wildes' quote “The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!”

They never tried it but it was a catchy phrase from a popular pervert. You have never tried your hand at it, so how would you know.
Robby
They have never felt the thill of a big horse between your knees over a Big bank with hounds in fiull cry. Almost as good as the first night of a Honey moon.. OLD DOG..

Oh, so do you see woodcock sitting on the ground? I've never found one sitting, would love to so I could shoot it.
They have never felt the thill of a big horse between your knees over a Big bank with hounds in fiull cry. Almost as good as the first night of a Honey moon.. OLD DOG..
Smoothy ,I think you miss read me. Walking up over dogs means you spring thye birds into the air 'Afore you Shooooooooooooot at 'em. Little Bu-- ers dote 'af gooooo. LOL.. :dunno: :ghostly::horseback:

Back