• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a lot of guys get in to building they try not to add too many new skills at the same time. They start with a plain rifle, then add a PB, then inlays, carving, engraving in a typically progressive fashion on subsequent builds, and get better with the prior stuff each time. Reason; they know their first attempts will look rather amateurish, so they don't want to junk up an otherwise pretty good build with a plethora of rookie execution. I've seen plenty of them that were riddled with a bunch of obvious first attempts, (taking on too many new things at the same time) and they look like it. Your's doesn't. Is it perfect? No, but what is? I would venture to guess that this build took you a long long time to do, because you did a LOT of research before you whacked off any wood. The lock panel sweeps are the dead giveaway. They look good. Most first guns' lock panels don't. I bet you agonized over that one for a while huh?

The difference between a good builder and a not so good one is that the good builder admits and learns from his mistakes, (becoming their own harshest critic) and the bad one defends them.

Col. Batguano (love the name by the way), yes I completely agree with you, almost everything on this rifle was a new experience with untested 'skills', originally I had intended to carve the stock but lost confidence in myself and was growing impatient so I scratched it and wire inlayed it where I was planning to carve. But yes I have a pretty heavy time investment into it, my estimate is a bit over 200 hours. A lot of that is due to the tools I had, the only chisel I had at the time was a rather bulky 1/4" wide square chisel and I used that to do: widening barrel channel and tang, widening lock mortise, everything for the triggers - lock plate - trigger guard - nose cap - ram rod tube- butt plate etc etc.

Back