• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build. Half stock 20 ga. Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTShooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found a period piece I really like, so using it as a guide for my build.

Figured you need a lock to build a flintlock, so why not build the lock too.

I found these 2 locks, both partially started.

Bottom is what they looked like when I opened the box, top is a few days later, and being lucky enough to find some local builders to explain a little. Never built a lock.

Still need to order screws and bridles. I'll post more pictures when photo place behaves.

image_zps983c41ng.jpg

The rest of the parts in the collection for this rifle are buffalo horn for the cap, ebony and raw abalone shell for inlays and a black walnut stock.

I also plan on some silver wire inlay like the original.

Some light metal engraving if I can get some practice and enough nerve to try it.

Hi CT,
You must have bought those locks from Chris Laubach. They should be good locks. I am curious what period piece you have in mind? Do you have any photos? I am always looking for additions to my library of historical guns to guide my future work.

Sounds like a great project.

dave

I did and I do have pictures, as soon as I clear up my current issue with photomess I'll post some and send you copies.

What barrel do you intend to use? Do you plan to build from a blank? There are a number of people who can inlet your barrel, drill the ramrod hole and shape the buttstock in a general way if you don't want to do it yourself. They use machinery and do a good job. (at least the one I use does.)

Planning on Colerain 42"

I have the stock blank and have already started the lay out.

Thanks for the offer. I have the stock taken care of.

Back