• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP shoot at a F & G club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Im going to run an intro shoot at a local F&G club thats never had a BP shoot. The plan is not to shoot bulls eyes, but woods walk stuff. Am thinking charcoal on a string, clays on a string, , cut a string, maybe a candle flame thru a hollow log, maybe a split ball. I've cut cards, shot clangers, and put balls thru the arbor hole of a saw blade.

Anybody got target ideas to get new shooters who are mostly inline hunters interested in fun targets?
scrubbs

That sounds like a really tough shoot! If your trying to get more people involved (and not frustrated), I would make it easyer. Just my opinion (I dont like charcol strings). Could you get your hands on some swinging sillouet targets?

Lifesavers, balloons on a string, pinecones, apples, corncobs, suckers, prize bag hanging from a string(cut the string to drop the bag and win the prize inside).
I've seen a "duel" where there are 2 targets mounted on opposite sides of a pole, on a spinner. 2 shooters stand ready at the line and fire at the command. First shooter to hit his/her target wins. Both shooters reload and fire until one of them hits the target. Good way to settle a tie.
I agree with brentp tho that the shooters need to have plenty of easy big clangers mixed in so they can hit something. I would also keep it kinda short to start. Maybe 15 targets. :hmm:
If they have fun and want to do it again, add some more/tougher targets in the future.

One of the favorites at my gun club's trail shoot is the "Chicken or the Egg" target. You have to call your shot beforehand. Chicken is on the left, and egg is on the right. If you hit the chicken, it's one point. If you hit the smaller egg target, it's two points. We also have a running deer on a zip-line. Only a hit in the vitals is a score. Another is the turkey feather shoot. Stick a bunch of turkey feathers in a log, call which one you are shooting at, and clip the feather with your ball.

For most shooters targets that move, explode or shatter are interesting and fun. Small ballons filled with water or small bags of flour hanging from strings will give a lot of action.

Good targets can be made from cookies.

The larger oatmeal cookies are fairly easy to hit and the sandwich cookies make things a bit more challenging.

The nice thing about using cookies is they can be found at WalMart for about $1.25 a pound and, more importantly, they don't make a mess in the great outdoors.

Birds, chipmunks squirrels and all sorts of critters will clean up the area after the people have left. Yah, they may get a "sugar high" but it won't do any permanent damage to them.

If a blizzard blows in during the shoot the cookies can keep the folks from starving before the rescue party arrives and if you let the rescue party know there's cookies there before the blizzard blows in they might work a bit harder to save you. :rotf:

Just did my first woods walk at my first overnight rondy, so here are some examples. Keep in mind that there were over 400 acres along a creek for this, space and safety considerations always come first. Each spot had a wooden pin in the ground and the shooter was required to be touching it while shooting. Unsupported shots only. There were mostly hanging targets, diamond shaped of varying sizes but with pipes and circles as well, all made of steel. One was a rectangle where you had to put the shot through it without hitting it, so if you heard a "clank" it was a miss. There was a large tree stump turned on it's side with an ax head facing out inserted into it. Nails held clay pidgeons on either side and you had to break both pidgeons to have it count as a hit. At one spot along the creek there was a stack of 1/2 inch cedar that had been cut into 7 inch squares and after tossing one into the creek you had to break it with your shot. If it just jumped in the water but didn't break it didn't count. Last was a cutout of a turkey that was on a zip line going across the creek. The shooter shouted "pull!" and the turkey was let go, and you had to put a ball through a white circle in the center of it. Great fun, there were 28 different shooting spots along the trail and 17 shooters went through. Maybe that will give you some ideas that you can adapt to your location.

do all of the above,,
,,but a one station or more put a string or a branch at the shooting station at 4 1/2 or 5 feet off the ground,,
,,the shooter has to crouch a bit an shoot at the target from under the string/branch. Key is to make it just low enough to be uncomfortable.

Interesting target suggestions. Never heard of cookies, but its interesting to have edible targets!

The conditions at the club arent leaning towards a woods walk type event. Light may dawn late on Marble Head.... but ole man winter is fighting to hold on in northwestern Maine.

Going to hold the event on the range with novelty targets. Took a crow, standing bear, running deer and a big tick paper target and made them one shot targets, hit for score or loose a point. Will mix more fun targets ranging from 15 yds to 175 yds. Will let em try my old X sticks and even one shot off a bench. I dont want to make it to hard on those inliners with scopes ya know. Mighte scare em off!

Just be sure and whup 'em good with your sidelock to show 'em how it's really done. :wink:

Yep! I have yet to see an **line split a playin card down the middle. :thumbsup:

Back