• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finishing a Kibler lockset

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When preparing and putting a finish on a Kibler lockset, should you completely disassemble it or can you do a good job with it left assembled?

yea, you’d want to disassemble the lock before any type of bluing or finishing is applied.

Jim has some pretty awesome instructions on his site for finishing is kits. I would always go there before you query folks on this forum for advice.

Here us my lock from my Kibler SMR. I disassembled it used a few files and sanded to 400 using various files an wood blocks as backers. Then I burnished it with Grey Scotch Brite to a nice even finish. I used Jax Black and Grey Scotch Brite.
1000014579.jpg

Congress tools, Geiswein, MSC, and McMaster Carr should be able to fix you up with stones. I'm bought from Congress. I believe I've liked the Y-Oil stones as well as the super soft for brass details.

Jim

You make mention of polishing stones.I am looking for ones like what Kibler uses in his you tube tutorials. can't find any anywhere. Any idea where I can pick some up?
Look up SharpeningSupplies.com They may have something suitable.

You make mention of polishing stones.I am looking for ones like what Kibler uses in his you tube tutorials. can't find any anywhere. Any idea where I can pick some up?
Go to Kibler's web site, get his email address, and send an inquiry directly. They are good about answering.

Back