• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finishing a Kibler lockset

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it must be disassembled. The only parts that need finishing, are the plate, cock and top jaw, and back of the frizzen.
I use masking tape on the back of the plate, cock and frizzen to keep those areas clean.

Phil, did you dip the parts in a solution and rub them back, what solution did you use?
That one is real case coloring, the part is packed in a mixture of wood and bone charcoal then heated to 1375 degrees then quenched in water. Many more steps besides but that’s the general idea.

For specific questions on Kibler products contact Kibler.

IF you do not have a mainspring vice do not attempt to disassemble the lock.

Any polishing must be done with stones or abrasive paper backed with a file or wood block. Never use a polishing wheel, Dremil, or unbacked sand paper.

Finishing has lots of options. Cold blue, heat blue, case colors, rust brown, rust blue, or just polished. All of them can look good.

IF a guy has limited tools and skills I would leave the lock as you bought it. IT comes with a fine bead blasted finish. IT look good already. With time and use it will acquire a patina and look nicer.

For specific questions on Kibler products contact Kibler.

Any polishing must be done with stones or abrasive paper backed with a file or wood block. Never use a polishing wheel, Dremil, or unbacked sand paper.

Finishing has lots of options. Cold blue, heat blue, case colors, rust brown, rust blue, or just polished. All of them can look good.

IF a guy has limited tools and skills I would leave the lock as you bought it. IT comes with a fine bead blasted finish. IT look good already. With time and use it will acquire a patina and look nicer.

Thanks, I have watched all of his videos at least once, but didn't know if you had to take it all of the way apart for a decent finish.

That one is real case coloring, the part is packed in a mixture of wood and bone charcoal then heated to 1375 degrees then quenched in water. Many more steps besides but that’s the general idea.
I am sure you are doing this right so you can put the hardening back in the steel. How hot does steel need to not warp?

I would never even think about doing this though it really does give fantastic color!

Real color case hardening is beyond the skills and tools for the vast majority of hobbyists. IF you like the look you can fake it. I did the attached lock with heat colors. I heated the parts to straw with a propane torch. Then I then played a fine tip oxy-acetylene torch on the steel to create colors. With very little practice you can get something that looks sort of like color case hardening. One more option. If it goes bad polish it off.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
To paraphrase a Master Builder on another forum:
“Sometimes late at night when alone in my shop I use sandpaper with only my fingers for backing”

If you lack the equipment to do it yourself, @FlinterNick is your man. I've sent two locks(Traditions and Chambers) to be cleaned up and tuned to him and couldn't be happier. He does great work and gets them sent out quickly. Traditions lock is faster and more reliable, Chambers is beautiful and sparks like a racecar sliding on its roof even with a flint nearing the end of its life.

1000008386.jpg

1000008450.png

Not true. I did learn as a kid not to use channel locks. 😜 However, multiple decades of moons ago, I bought a Hawken Shop tool. It has a notch. You cock the lock snug the notch into the spring and voila, it works. However, in all honesty, you can do this with a crescent wrench. I never had a mainspring vice until 5 or so years ago. Handy, yep. Necessary, no

To paraphrase a Master Builder on another forum:
“Sometimes late at night when alone in my shop I use sandpaper with only my fingers for backing”
Real color case hardening is beyond the skills and tools for the vast majority of hobbyists. IF you like the look you can fake it. I did the attached lock with heat colors. I heated the parts to straw with a propane torch. Then I then played a fine tip oxy-acetylene torch on the steel to create colors. With very little practice you can get something that looks sort of like color case hardening. One more option. If it goes bad polish it off.
You make mention of polishing stones.I am looking for ones like what Kibler uses in his you tube tutorials. can't find any anywhere. Any idea where I can pick some up?

Latest posts

Back