• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my first gun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfkt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I still working on my first project, a pair of Kentucky pistols with silver fittings. This pistol started as my fifth practice attempt on stock shaping. One of the guys at my gun club offered to buy it and it kind of metamorphosed into a dress rehearsal for the pair of pistols I'm building for myself. So I guess it counts as my first build. The pistol is my generic version of a Kentucky pistol. Stock was made from a piece of black walnut leftover from a furniture project. I bought the barrel and the lock, all the rest is made from scratch. The barrel is a 12",GM, 0.54 caliber, rust blued with pure silver wedding bands. Rear sight and trigger fire blued. Screws and triggerplate, caseharden and rust blued. Wire inlay is pure silver. Ramrod is ash dyed black. The one piece nose cap was made following Acer's tutorial. The lock was polished by the guy who bought the pistol(I hate polishing locks). I don't know how to engrave, so I inlet inlet a piece of silver on the barrel and used the stamp i use on the knives I forge.

!'d like to thank everyone for all the advice and help that's been freely given. it's been a big help.

Best regards
Rolfkt
frstepistol012.jpg
frstepistol015.jpg
frstepistol028.jpg
frstepistol032.jpg
frstepistol033.jpg
frstepistol046.jpg

Looks real nice. :hatsoff:

Did you make your own trigger guard?

I made the triggergard from scratch out of brass sheet stock. I used 1/8" thick brass for the bow and foot. The rail/tang is 0.8" thick brass.

The buttcap is made fron 0.8mm brass sheet.
The pipes and muzzel cap 0.4" brass sheet.

Best regards

Rolf

WOW! Terrific work. Its hard to believe this is a " first " gun. Did you also make that buffalo horn on which one of them rests? If so, can we see some pictures of that horn, too?

Thank you. The guns are simply amazing. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reference, Rolf. I could not see enough of the horn under the pistol to be sure it was the same one you showed us in that earlier post. Its still gorgeous! :grin: :thumbsup:

Rolf: It is every bit as beautiful as I knew it would be as you were building it. :wink:

Superb work........ :bow:

Aside from the obvious workmanship, elegant proportions seem to be hard to achieve on pistols and you really nailed it.
I've always wondered how silver wedding bands are done. Could you clear that up? Thanks.

Excellent craftsmanship, I remember the horn also. I can tell you have been busy. I also like the silver bands, they contrast nicely with the blued barrel. WOW :bow: I cannot wait to see the pair you are making for yourself!!! Nicely done, you should be very proud.

I wrote a tutorial on the subject and posted it at Americanlongrifles. We are not allowed to post links to other gunssites here. If you send your email adress, I'll send you the link.

Best regards
Rolf

If Rolf made a tutorial and posted it on that other site I doubt that Claude can post it here.

That other site claims ( or used to claim) copyright ownership over everything that is posted on it.

High Rolf- used to read your post on ALF but was banned for asking to many questions the High Up Powers didn,t like. I see you have accomplished what you wanted to do. This Pistol is as clean as you can get- a Real piece of Art. The carving is superb as well as the wire inlay- you have that old world craftsmanship in our hands. The people of Norway should be proud- The Great Pinyone

Back