• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, almost :: I have to pin the rod yet, and adjust how the wedges fit. Other then that she's ready to go. I worked the barrel with Steel wool to get the rough pieces off the lands, and the sights are intstalled. Had to trim down the wedge on the front blade so she'd fit proper. Might have to rebrown the scratch I made on the side of the blade.

Well her she is, I like how dark it is, but I don't think it's near as perty as some of the rifle gun's ya'll build. Fer me that's OK, I find thet ugly gun's shoot better' then perty ones lest ya had a master do it. I ain't no master, so's we'll just have ta see how she throws them round balls.

finback1.jpg

finfront1.jpg

RollingB, Thanks fer all the help, couln't have done it without yer help.

Spot

Looks great... :applause:

You know what would really set it off?

Paint the ramrod fire engine RED... :shocking:

Just kidding...

Again, nice job...

Musketman,

I'm think'n I'd like the ramrod a bit darker, and may jest pull it to stain it, then hit it with true-oil ta seal it.

Don't know yet I just go done fitt'n the wedges, and pinning the rod ends. I'm load'n up the haversack and head'n out. Tell mom not to wait up!
::

Spot

Spot,.... She looks "GOOD"!!!!.. I agree, thet the ramrod needs to be a liddle darker!!.. I'll also wager thet, sooner or later, you be put'n the "primitive" non-adjustable rear-sight on'er!!

Now!!.. go have some "FUN" at the range with'er!! :applause: ::

Spot - You did a real nice job on the thang. Now, my question is did it take any talent? I know these experienced guys say all sorts of stuff about how ANYONE can build one (not believin it), but I wanna know from a neophyte like you. You got a lot of good info from the board, now cough up some yerself!!!

Thanks, sse

SSE,

As far as talent goes I grew'd up on a farm, ain't not furniture maker, or know how to mill metal but I can bend a misaligned tractor pin by hand with a torch and hammer. Still try'n ta understand how the heck this riflegun came out lookin' so nice given my talent. I'll chalk it up to the guidance of these salty old buggers.

The kit itself is awful thin when it comes to instructions. If you've held, shot or otherwise traditionals before start'n the kit you'd have been more experienced then I at things like how the hammer, lock, bolster, and tang should line up. (I'd only had a disc rifle and had little Idear of it)

Just about anyone with a few tools (even me) could put it together and make it work. RollingB was my mentor on this riflegun and I owe him 'cause I used his lead in terms of what finsih, brown'n and such - din't ask him about what to do with the rod (can ya tell). Anyway, I ended up with one fine looking shootin Iron, it's solid as a rock.

kit did take me more work then I thought but RB tolt me that to begin with, and a few of the tricks with wedges and such weren't well explained in the kit guide. The choice of rifle is also real important, I think the Great Plains Rifle feels right. It's a nice rifle - ya, I'd recommend doing one to anyone who's interested in try'n it. Price is right, and all it takes is time, a moderate amount of patients.

BTW - Glad to see ya around SSE, been a while.

Spot

looks good spotshooter,makes me wunder whats hiding under that factory stain on mine.Someday im gonna have to get the anbition to find out and do a browning on the barrel also.
Good job on a good rifle.she ert to be a shooter. :applause:

Buckknife: You won't know until you look.
I bought a Ruger 10-22 International (I like long stocks) and decided I didn't like the way the wood behind the reciever blended into the wrist. I also didn't like the sharp edge where the sides of the stock meet the top surfaces. Looked very unfinished to me. The whole thing looked too much like some big machine was programed to do the minimum required for a gun without trying to make a fine firearm.
So, I removed the "walnut" finish (which was opaque so I couldn't see what was under it) and sanded and blended and smoothed it to my satisfaction.
It was some sort of white wood which I suspect was Birch.
I stained it with about 3 coats of BC Walnut water base stain and then finished it with BC True Oil.
I couldn't believe my eyes! It has a great grain pattern with strong hints of Curl even.
I've had many people ask if I built the stock out of some expensive wood and most don't believe me when I tell them what it is.

Musket, Buck, SSE,

Thanks, fer the kind words, she shoots jest as good as RollingB said she would.

I had a couple of fellers at the range come up and comment how good the wood looked, and asked me what I used. I'm real happy with it's looks, and the way it shoots.

BTW - I've got a nice black 'n blue spot on my shoulder from them hot loads that I was gettin up into. Now I shot around 40 to 50 rounds anyway. It was 60 degrees so I didn't have on much in the way of a jacket. Steel butt plates kick when ya got near 100 gr of FF infront of them. :haha:

Spot

Back