• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finish question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greymount

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing a walnut stock using Chambers Traditional Oil Finish and am wondering if I should seal the stock with Permalyn first and them use the chambers oil as finish coats or could I use the Chambers oil for both sealing and finishing.

I am assuming this a linsead oil fin so I would cut the oil 50% w/mineral spirits and seal it with that and procede with your top coats

It doesn't hurt to mix a bit of vegetable turpentine with the first coat of linseed. It soaks in much quicker.
Rex Dev. :thumbsup:

i used jim chambers finish on my stocks.just use it right out of the can.i put the fist coat on heavy espesially at the butt end grain .let the firsr coat dry for 24 hours,polish any runs with 0000 steel wool to smooth the coat then i put some oil on clean lint free cloth and rubbed in thinner coats until i had the finish i wanted.

Have you tried Herter's french red stock filler on walnut? If not, try some. Brush it on and then hand rub until complete absorbed. I applied Chambers Traditional Oil Finish directly over it, using the suggestions in the Gunsmith of Grenville County.

LJ

Back