• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encorepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got to the range for a short time yesterday and shot my new T/C Black Mountain Magnum .54. Used Musket nipple and caps, 80g black mag 3 powder and great plains bullets - I think about 415g. Got 3 shots into 3" 25 yards for my first effort with the factory settings on the sights. The great plains bullets load very easily - they are old and the lube is dried, but they seem to work fine.

I also tried round balls and they shot almost to the same POI and group. They were very difficult to load though. This is a new gun wth the QLA, which seems to work great with the conicals and good with the round balls. The fowling with the black mag 3 was very light - almost none. Produced big cloud of grey smoke though!!!

The rifle itself kicked pretty good with both loads, but was a little more with the plains bullets. I know this one is a "mans gun" no question!!! I plan on getting a peep site for it. I'm "that guy" in my group of buddies that sometimes shows up during regular rifle season with a ML of some type and gets all the groans from the others, lol!!!

Anyway, the gun is very nice except for a scratch that happened during shipping - but for the price I paid, I'm still mucho happy!!! BTW - I was using some old .58 patches that were T/C premade with the yellow lube. Found them about 10 feet in front of the bench frazzled around the edges, with only a light brown mark on them from shooting. The balls were homemade casts for my buddies .54 CVA.

BTW - I was using some old .58 patches that were T/C premade with the yellow lube. Found them about 10 feet in front of the bench frazzled around the edges, with only a light brown mark on them from shooting.

And that's what you want...
:front:

Congrats on the new ML. Try some T/C Maxi-Balls, 430 grain, with 90 grains of FFG powder. They should shoot accuratly out of the Black Mountain Magnum, .54, with it's 1 in 38" twist.

Congratulations on the .54 Black Mountain Magnum. I'm a big BMMag fan myself. Got two .50s, but am still looking for a .54. Got the 12 Ga. barrel with screw-in choke tubes through Fox Ridge as well as a .54 New Englander barrel that fits. The new one is going to get the peep sight.

Excellent, no-nonsense muzzleloader. Ugly as sin with the Rynite stock but almost indestructable. Your .54 in wood is the pretty face in that tribe :).

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Bob

Back