• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally shot the Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slake

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What a sweet gun it is. I had heard they take a 495 instead of a 490. I should have known better to take that verbatum. It took a 490 and it took it tight. I shot 40 grains of Goex FFF and boy oh boy did it put a smile on my face. I shot a slow fire pistol target at 25 yd and hit mostly up and to the left but I didn't really group. I was messin around not really being too serious {yet}
I noticed that my CCI caps don't like to fit down on the nipple very good.
And I noticed I really either need a third hand or a pistol loading stand or sometin. My brass range rod worked great. I shot with one hand and got them all on the target.Tis my first ball and cap pistol in over thirty years. I think I'm gonna like it :grin:

they tend to be highly un critical in regard to ball diameter and patch thickness. I use .490 but have gotten the same results with .495

Sounds like fun! I can tell you that a stand is a great addition to the range kit - revolvers need em too :)

Do a search on loading stands - or just go to the photo forum and check the thread that I started on the loading stand that I made - there are some great pics of stands that work for ml handgons.

Slake, glad to hear you like it. :thumbsup: You are right about the nipples. They tend to be a lil bit too large sometimes. I turned mine down by fastening it in my drill's chuck and bevelled it against a file until I got a proper size. It solved the problem immediately. :v

A Tip from Germany, where Lyman is called Investarm, for the caps. Try to get the czech Sellier and Bellot 4,7mm caps. They fit very well.

Greetings from GE

:v If the caps do not fit your nipple (#11???)---remove the nipple and chuck it lightly in a variable speed drill and with a small file carefully remove a wee bit of metal until the nipple goes on and off more easily. Be careful fitting and removing the cap. :thumbsup:

Back