• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally, it was my turn for an original find!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always envied folks finding an original piece that they found. Today, I was at the right place at the right time.

What I think I found is an 18th century fowler. The bore mics at .63 so I am thinking a 20 gauge. The barrel measures 51 inches from muzzle to flash hole. The barrel is tapered octagon from breech to wedding band, then parallel round to muzzle. Overall length is 67 inches.

The nose cap is made from horn. The stock is carved, the brass furniture is engraved. The lock works fine and is perfect. Everything looks correct and original right down to the ram rod. Although I will not fire the gun, I would not hesitate to do so. There are a few minor issues with the stock, but she is a keeper for sure.

Here are some pics.

No markings visible.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

The young lady at the pawn shop said when she was getting it out this morning "my would anyone buy this".

Now its time for me to dig through my references to see if I can find out anything about it.

Any help you might care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Very attractive German gun. ca. 1770's or so. Has the same type of "commercial" hardware that is seen on several German and American guns of this general period.

Nice piece, Joe. Good on ya!!!

Years ago there was a fellow at the JM Davis Gun Museum in Clairemore, OK who could provide info on antique pieces but he has probably retired.
TC

We need a "green with envy" emoticon. Or maybe one that shows us drooling like a baby :rotf: .
That is sweeeet! Good find. Now -- may I be so bold as to ask what you paid? (settin myself up for a major envy attack, I know) :bow:

Parson, lets put it this way. It was about 1/4th the amount what a kit would have cost.

Joe

Excellent find!

Don't you wonder just a little bit
how she shoots?

After it was checked out of course.
TR

OMG!!!!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
I seldom comment on old so called original guns, as I have seen and know of so many fakes and misrepresented firearms it would scare you.
With just the few pictures you posted, you have (I think :hmm: ) a find of a life time. There is bound to be some repairs to it somewhere. Most all that have survived were working guns and were cut down, usually several times and/or converted to percussion. Just plain used up or destroyed during the Civil War. Conratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bow.gif

sniper

That is an awesome find. :applause: I wouldn't be able to help myself. I would have to make right what needs to be right, and take her hunting. I am not sure who would enjoy it more. Think how many years it has been idle. Of course I would use caution, but I have hunted with a SxS flinter 20ga. that was made in the 1790-1810 period and it did it's and my heart good.

Gents thanks for your help IDing this and your comments they are very appreciated.

I want to apologize for posting this thread under Flintlock Rifles. In my excitment of the find and being in a hurry to post pictures to get some information on the gun I clicked on anything that said "Flintlock" I should have posted under smoothbore and I'll understand if a moderator moves my post.

The more others and myself examine the gun the findings are everything on this gun is original. The pins, screws, sling provisons...everything seems to be correct and original.

True, I have the expertise and tools to disassemble the gun and repair the issues with the stock.

I cant see where a repair has been made anywhere to this piece. My feeling to it is....It will only be all original once. So for the time, it is going to stay all orginal until repair is the only option for preservation.

Also, I think if this gun was oiled, cleaned and a flint installed it would shoot fine just as is. Maybe some day I will take it out for a snowshoe hare or ptarmigan hunt. Until then, I have a fine TVM flint Nor'west trade gun I can hunt with anytime.

Thanks again for all your help and comments.

Joe

Joe,what a great find,make sure it doesn't have a load in it. Yesterday,a fellow brought in his great Grandads' rifle that he used in the Civil War for a restoration,and,had been loaded for a long time. :thumbsup:

Congratulations!! :thumbsup: Very nice indeed. The only original I've come across in my 10 years in Texas is a percussion 10 gauge (I think). It's very very used but it's all there.

Today a lot of folks are envying you Joe! Dang you are lucky! Grats on a great find. :thumbsup:

Back