• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got her dialed in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkyspark

32 Cal
Reaction score
After 3 yrs, on again off again, with this 50 cal. Poor Boy swamped bbl flinter, I think I finally got her viggered out. .020 patch of Duck Canvas (.014" compressed) lubed with mink oil, 70 grs Graffs brand powder, .495" round ball, and ....GASP.... a rear Skinner peep sight that i modified slightly and off a bench rest. I kow, I cheated with the peep and the bench rest but my eyes aren't what they used to be and with my old spinal cord injury, I can no longer shoot off hand. This has been a long, exasperating journey.

Attachments

• 20200616_185642.jpg
    20200616_185642.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200616_190257.jpg
    20200616_190257.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 154
When i first got to the range I was having several flash-in- the-pans. Finally got the flash hole cleared out and she ran like a champ. The wayward shot was when the old girl was balking on me!

Those vent holes can be hard on a feller! Keep 'em cleaned out and no worries.
Good shooting and I hope that bit of satisfaction keeps you 'on again' and making lots of smoke!

God bless,
Rodd

Shoot the way you want, and who cares what others might think. I'm lucky enough to get a group like that at 50 yards, much less 100. You did good.

Does anyone have an example of a peep sight that would look more appropriate? I definately would like something that blends in better.

I'll bet the gun / load actually shoots tighter than that. Fine sighting with open iron sights is difficult, and the long barrel dwell time / slow lock speed of flinters (leading to operator error) can easily open up a group. Just to be sure though, you should increase your group number of shots from 3 to 10 when it comes to things like this (particularly if you are using it to adjust your sights). A general rule of thumb is; the more disbursed the group, the greater the number of shots it takes to locate your center.

Col, that was a 5 shot group. I never shoot 3shot groups. Yes, i understand about the 10 shot groups but I was not feeling well at all that day, After messing with the afor-mentionedan flashes, I just didnt have enough energy to shoot a full 10.

Latest posts

Back