• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Drew A Tag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Drew a deer tag for this November 2-6th. So happy NM added an open sight requirement to the muzzleloader season, usually not much for anything that divides hunters, but I am guessing that a lot of guys didn't put in because they can't shoot with a scope. Plenty of time to work up a good hunting load for the T/C Hawken 50 cal.

Good luck on your hunt. ML sights will change here in Utah this year, but the application time has not expired. With open sights or 1X scopes only, I hope the application numbers will go down also. Based on last years records, if nothing changes, my chances are 1 in 20 for mule deer for the unit around us. It isn't that good of a unit for trophy deer either. The unit on the Southern Border nearer you where the big ones are around 1 in 120 odds. That's Mule Deer hunting and the numbers of deer keep going down.

Good luck on your hunt. ML sights will change here in Utah this year, but the application time has not expired. With open sights or 1X scopes only, I hope the application numbers will go down also. Based on last years records, if nothing changes, my chances are 1 in 20 for mule deer for the unit around us. It isn't that good of a unit for trophy deer either. The unit on the Southern Border nearer you where the big ones are around 1 in 120 odds. That's Mule Deer hunting and the numbers of deer keep going down.
Utah is the last time I hunted with a muzzleloader. Back when you could still get over the counter tags I believe. Hunted around Snow Basin and Pineview Reservoir. Our deer numbers are way down, CWD, predators, loss of habitat, too many elk (they're using the elk herd to try and shut down the cattle ranching), and general mismanagement of the forest by the Forest Service. Still, I am happy to have been fortunate enough to draw a tag after so many years.

Dave

Latest posts

Back