• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filing lock parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was taught to file and polish the surfaces of all lock parts to resist rusting. Do you do this?

Attachments

• 1668022476370.jpeg
    1668022476370.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 1668022558929.jpeg
    1668022558929.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I do it to remove the casting marks. Don't know about the rust. I polish them and either leave them white or smear on some cold blue(to let it wear off) A browned unfinished lock stuck in the wood is bush league.

I don’t use a file. If you had a large burr or casting mark then a small file or jewelers file wound be fine. I use various fine grit polish stones to work over the tumbler and sear. Same with the trigger group. If you don’t have stones, 600-1,000 grit sand paper backed by a file or wood stick will work too. I finish each piece off with a felt tip dremel tool and fine polishing rouge.

Last edited:
I was taught to file and polish the surfaces of all lock parts to resist rusting. Do you do this?
Wow, that looks much better. I need to do that to my L&R rpl lock I have. As you can see the surface of my lock looks just like the "before" picture of yours. What did you use to get it looking like that?

Attachments

• 20221109_152507.jpg
    20221109_152507.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I don't polish anything exterior but I do like a one direction grained finish that is or looks draw filed. All my metal parts get that exterior finish and I think it's more representative of the period, at least for us poor folk here in the south eastern mountains.
Cold blue knocked back to gray then waxed or greased makes it look 250 years old, which is what I'm after, especially when it starts growing patina later on.
Files get me there on the larger surfaces but worn 80 grit sandpaper does a nice job replicating a grained draw file finish on the small stuff or hard to do places.
I carefully stone and take due diligence with internal surfaces that matter.

Back