• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fighting Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcclure

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a fantasy knife that I have been working on for a little bit as I get time. We are in the middle of a winter storm right now and have about 16 inches of snow on the ground. While that is not much of snow storm for you guys in the north east or mid west, this is the worst storm we have had since I was about 10 years old.

The snow has given me an opportunity to work on this project on the work bench even though I am not able to build a fire in the forge. This is my take, and my take alone on the rifleman's knife. Blade began as a large Nicholson file and is 10.5 inches roughly. Ferrule is a reforged section of octagon muzzle loading barrel and the guard was forged from the tang of the file. Antler haft if from a mule deer shed.

There is a ton of work to still be done, but I am taking a little advantage of the time away from work due to the snow.

IMG_20151125_144858_zpsx9cob9h1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_20151210_163525_zps3ogthv67.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG_20151210_163450_zpsuuxvomup.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Looks like that one will "fill your hand." I've moved away from large knives, got tired of carrying them. I think I would make the guard a little shorter, looks like it would get caught on things other than blades. I DO like the lines of the knife! Keep up the good work. :hatsoff:
Ed

I have been back and forth on reworking the guard...may still do it.

Personally I am not really crazy about large knives, but I have never really made one and wanted a different project to work on.

I don't get in many knife fights anymore, but yes, that guard and handle looks to be a little "under fed" for the proportions of the blade. But that's just my opinion friend! :redface:

Yeah...I need one with a better table, face and horn, but I have gotten so attached to it that I could never get rid of it. When I started fooling around on the forge I was an 18 year old broke college student and this was a salvage that was on its way to the scrap yard; paid 40 bucks for it.

Thanks for the positive words.

It will be a hefty knife, but I have never made a knife like this and thought it would be a cool project.

Latest posts

Back