• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFF-g black powder substitute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1700s Boxlock with no proof marks (Belgian??) flint pistol and wanted GOEX but can only find Pyrodex P substitute. I’ve read that Pyrodex can be a bit corrosive and not the favorite for cap and ball (my other is a Baker London pocket pistol cap) I’m primarily focused on recreational shooting in small doses. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 362FE3AB-0F34-4CCD-89FB-5372C7CE01A3.jpeg
    362FE3AB-0F34-4CCD-89FB-5372C7CE01A3.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
As for the sale of powder you have to be a Federally licensed dealer and keep records not sure on caps. As far as selling to each other if the Feds see you posting it for sale online you may get a visit from an undercover buyer.

Perhaps you are assuming too much. Asking for clarification on milling down a course ff to a fff is an application question and not an acquisition question assuming the English language is still acceptable.
And perhaps you should try posting your powder question in the "Firearms" section,
Screenshot_20220227-203635_Chrome.jpg
Where you might get more and better answers.

Instead of the section regarding forum use,
Screenshot_20220227-203533_Chrome.jpg
"Assuming the English language is still acceptable."

8B2B63F7-3CD0-4B9F-88B7-C319A16A18E0.jpeg
I am the most unqualified person to answer but here’s a few observations.
Pictured is photo I took two minutes ago. I poured a small amount of Pyrodex P onto my Formica counter top and with the back of a t spoon reduced it to powder. Left side of the photo.
If that doesn’t fire under your flint lock your SOL.
As to fouling, again no expert but ??? Your not going to store the pistol loaded nor are you going to not clean it properly after firing. Fouling a moot point on both accounts.
As to snarky comments on subs in muzzle loaders, many here use them, some are actually superior in performance to the real thing, and due to Federal restrictions much easier to obtain locally.
I obtain black powder in bulk by on line order, simply because I shoot lot. The jar of Pyrodex pictured is close to twenty years old, it’s a hold over from when I shot only occasionally and bought it locally at a LGS.
As to forum location perhaps a mod will be along directly and move it to its proper subject location.

Last edited:
If you're anywhere near Winchester, Back Creek Gun Shop is a very good supplier. You'll have to call first and if you're going to pick up, make an appt. Jackie is the main supplier to the North South Skirmish Association and usually has real black and caps in stock.
Thanks. I’m new to muzzleloaders but an old hat with weapons 1900s foreword. Late to the party but glad to be here.

Back