• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FF or FFF in .45 flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own and shoot two Pedersoli Flintlocks. One is a Kentucky and the other a Frontier. Both are cal. 45. I use a .445 ball with a .20 prelubed wonder lube patch, and an OPW to protect the patch. The powder I use is the Swiss nr.2 (FFF)with a 56 grain load for both. I only shoot targets - no hunting. I found that this is the best combo for these guns. Still I am looking if I could improve accuracy in those guns. Untill now I was convinced that using FF powder was only useful in cal. over .50 ... Have any of you found that FF was better in your .45 cal than FFF???

For a long time the accepted gospel was to use only 2Fg in calibers over .45. But practice (and common sense) has changed. For many 3Fg has pretty much become the universal powder in ml rifles. As long as sensibile charges are worked up you will be fine.

My preference is to use 3f in most all of my rifles regardless of the caliber. I have found that 2f gives me more fouling and offers no real advantage over 3f. There used to be a rule of thumb that you use 3f in calibers of less than 50 and 2f in calibers of 50 and above. I have not found that to be true at all. Since you are using the smaller loads in your rifle, I'd use 3f powder and enjoy the benefits of less fouling that 3f provides.

let yer rifle dictate what it likes to eat in terms of bp granularity, patch thickness, ball diameter ... and pan powder granularity and amount.

ymmv.

Some people seem to find better accuracy with one or the other. I also like to use 3f for everything and find it fouls less. That said, you could probably find a load that works great with 2f. Personally, I think you would be better served tweaking everything else (lube, patching, ball size, etc.) rather than switching powder.

If you are not happy with the size of your groups, by all means try some FFg. As mentioned, let your rifle tell you what it likes. I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier flinter. My most accurate load is also my hunting load. I get one ragged hole groups at 50 yards using a .440 ball, pillow ticking patch (.018) lubed with Ballistol oil and 70 grains of FFFg Goex.

Since you dont hunt you just have to get the ball to the target.This means youjust have to get to the velocity that gives you the tightest groups.If you were hunting you would look for the optiman between fastest ball and tightist groups.2f can give you the same velocity with lower breach pressures,but takes bigger charges fot the same result.It would take yoou 70-75 grains 2f to match your speeds of your 56grain load.This would be a smaller charge then I would hunt deer with in that size rifle,but paper wont care.3f will give you more shots per pound.Your rifle might like 2 f better but your probly good wher your at. :wink:

I use 3F in everything including the smoothbore. I have yet to find a load that performs better using 2F; but then I don't experiment that much. I'm not a good enough shot to find a difference between the two powders as far as accuracy goes but 3F velocities are higher.

I shoot allot of Swiss as well. It seems as if Swiss 2F it actually pretty close to the other powder brands that are 3F. For me, since I shoot allot of Swiss, I prefer 2F on anything above 40cal. I use 3F Swiss 40cal and down. But in these cases, the gun told me all this.

Well my .45 Flintlock loves 57 grns of 3f. The guy that made it used 75grns of 2f for hunting.
Colerain barrel, .440 rb, .018 patch, Hopees #9 as a lube. Shoots 1/2" at 25 and 3/4" at 50 yrds. Chambers lock and White Lighting touch hole. I put my pick in the hole when loading. Never fails to go off.
Mike C.

I always used 60 gr. of 3f in my .45 for hunting & target shooting. 3f also works well as a priming powder and certainly simplifies the process by having to carry one horn in the woods.

My 45 cap lock likes 70 grains of Triple Seven 2F and will shoot one ragged hole with it at 50 yards and a PRB. I like Goex 3F in 40 caliber and under.

My .45 cal H&A underhammer target rifle likes 65 grains of 3F, .445 lee ball, .018 shirt felt patching with windshield wash patch lube.
The windshield wash lube was a wonder to me at first but makes perfect sense when one realizes that water, soap and alcohol are all favorites for dealing with black powder fouling. Mike D.

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvanian in 45 that I have shot for years both hunting and muzzle loading shoots. I use 2F, 440 rb, .15 patch, and depending on what for... hunting I use 60 grains and target 40 grains. I am consistantlty 10 - 9 ring. I think it is more how comfortable you are with the gun, the loads for each application, and how much you shoot. Some people are just not happy unless their shots are touching.

My .45 cal rifle is partial to 50 grains of 3F. Never have used anything else. Also use it in the pan without a hitch.

Brand I'm using is Goex.

Some would argue the different burn rates and pressure curves between 3Fg and 2Fg affect accuracy. I won't argue that, they are probably correct. But, I will argue that there is a noticable difference for most shooting. Heavy bench guns searching for X's at 100 yards might see a difference. But that is "might".

Other than what Fs of powder to use regarding accuracy, you might want to take a look at what Dutch Schoultz might have to recommend, if you have not already. You can still get his material from ordering online

In my opinion, 3f will be a better choice than 2f. Every person who shoots a muzzleloading rifle needs a copy of Dutch Schultz' Muzzleloading Accuracy System. You can find him by Googling "Dutch Schultz Muzzleloading Accuracy System" I think his current price for his extremely valuable system is $20 and it will be the best $20 you can ever spend on anything having to do with muzzleloading. Read is several times and keep it at hand for many future readings. Do exactly what he says to do in exactly the way he says to do it and you will have your rifles shooting at their peak accuracy. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back