• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ferguson sporting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys

I shaped the trigger guard and turned the opening lever.

I drilled a hole in the guard to match the small stud on top of the loading lever. I welded the loading lever stud in the hole then welded around the lever where it touches the trigger guard and shaped it.

I will leave the long "tail" on the guard until I get it finished and get the breech screw fit.

SC45-70

SC,

think I'm going to have to go to an 'improvised route' to try and cut the threads. My lil 6X12 AA Craftsman would be hard pressed to cut such an aggressive thread pitch, eve if I could get it to 1TPI..

I'm thinking about making a mini sine bar rifling bench of sorts :hmm: and cutting the threads into a breech blank with a 10 position index plate, I should be able to thread/rifle it?? :wink: the breech plug itself will either be filed to fit or I'll work out how to single point the cutter and rotate the bar stock against it?? anyways, if nothing else it proves an interesting exercise in problem solving!!

I'll post some pics if I can get my act together and get to a point where I have something to show!!

Thanks for the creative KICK in the pants :hatsoff:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Metalshaper

you thinking about building one of these? If not you should. Would keep you and Marlow out of the bars at night. I have no doubt you could do it and would love to see it.

Fleener

Fleener,

Yep I'd sure like to give it a good try!! SC's work has kinda inspired me to give it a serious look.

Something has to help Keep Marlow out of the bars?? :grin: although teaching his extra jobs has kept him pretty much out of everywhere!!
maybe after he retires in May,, things will change?? although I doubt it!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I machined the bottom of the breech screw square to fit the wrench and drilled and tapped it for the screw.

With the breech screw attached to the trigger guard, I fit it to the action by filing off excess metal until the trigger guard was in the proper position.

I shaped the tang and made the large head screw to hold the breech screw to the trigger guard wrench. I trimmed the trigger guard to length. I cut the top off the breech screw and filed it flush to the top of the action.

With that my action is ready to be stocked.

Merry Christmas

SC45-70

:hatsoff:

Keep it coming :grin: You sure do some
Good work!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I cut a blank into rough shape with a band saw and drilled the hole for the action extension.

I inlet the barreled action.

SC45-70

I inlet the lock. I chose to use a Jim Chambers deluxe siler.

I am going to use a double set trigger.
I chose a L&R Hawken double set trigger.

The L&R trigger plate is too thin and not the proper shape for my rifle so I will make a new trigger plate to fit my stock and use the L&R parts.

SC45-70

I questioned the lock at first, then a quick search of Ferguson images reveal a period rifle with the angled pan, typical of the Siler, also the general shape of the lock plate is identical to that particular Ferguson. Most likely that rifle with the Siler looking lock was a Sporting model. The only thing that I see atypical on the modern Siler is the notched frizzen, but that is such a tiny detail.
You have done your homework, looks great! :hatsoff:

The Ferguson trigger plate has a raised section with a dove tail at the rear to hold the trigger guard in place. I built a trigger plate with this raised area and fit the L&R Hawken set trigger parts to it.

First I put a 1/2 inch square bar in the vise of my milling machine and machined .200 inch off one end.

Next I machined the bar for the L&R trigger parts

I bent the bar to fit my stock and fit the trigger parts.

I then inlet the trigger into my stock.

I will cut the dove tail in the trigger plate when I fit the trigger guard.

SC45-70

Robust stock!

Ya
Because of the action extension you can not build a Ferguson rifle with a thin wrist area.

But don't worry, it's going to loose a lot of weight before I'm finished.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

SC45-70

Thank you

I have an Enco.

In response to kaintuck

Something I should have mentioned earlier is the similarity of the Ferguson stock shape to the Hawken stock.

I used a Hawken stock pattern for this Ferguson stock.

SC45-70

Latest posts

Back