• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favourite lock lubricant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To nobody in particular,

I find it ridiculous that some kind of mix of assorted engine lubricants, fuels and/or random synthetic fluids is going to make a "magic special lubricant" that is some how far superior to all of the already available "Gun Lubricant/Gun Oil's" on the market.

It's like all the modern gun makers and the military of the world with multi-million dollar labs, scientists and decades of testing under extreme conditions have no clue what would work well.
Here's Remington, Birchwood Casey and Hoppes 9;
:doh: , Why didn't we think of that?
We could have just mixed that stuff up too, slapped a label on it and put it on the market to make money!!

It's not about money, I probably have 5-6 bottles of Hoppes lubricant here, it goes on sale for $2 every once in a while, I'd buy more but I have no need to "horde" gun oil.

To address just one issue about the early Vietnam era lube;
There was a known issue with dirt and fouling of the early M16, I'll just bet the man that came up with the lube mix was using it a lot as he cleaned his gun frequently,, it wasn't the mix as much as it was the cleaning that helped his gun function. That's what the military did to fix the problem;
The fussy M16s responded poorly to wet, dirty field conditions, and often jammed during combat, resulting in numerous casualties. Keeping the gun clean in the field in Vietnam was difficult. Modifications and a late 1966 redesign were made on the weapon, along with an effort to train the troops in its care and cleaning. The reliability of the M16 significantly improved.

Aran said:
What sort of lock lubes do you folks use? Is simple olive oil a good option, or is it too thick?
Your thoughts.

Aran

Lot of responses. As some suggested, any good lightweight oil will work. Especially those designated for guns. I have used WD-40 extensively for decades and find it very good. The Telfon based oils are fine also and I frequently (I'm fickle :wink: ) also use CLP Break-Free. Good stuff. A big NO-NO :shake: for Ballistol as it gums up very badly. The olde timeys, like whale, are nostalgic but impractical because of limited availability.

Just like ball and patch lubes, everyone has their favorite, and it is superior to all others.

Take a look at your lock, and look closely at wear and friction points. It is more important to properly lubricate it where it needs it, and less important as to what you use.

Grease and other heavy viscosity materials tend to catch and hold powder residue and may slow down lock time.

Your lube only needs to last as long as the time between use and the next cleaning, so the hi-temp, hi shear super-lubes are more of a feelgood than a necessity.

Some of my favorites are Outers Tri-Lube, Esso or 3 in 1 sewing machine oil,WWI GI bore cleaner, and I even used some silicone lubricant that leaves a dry lubricated surface - it works great for modern firearms, especially magazine components, but isn't any better than any other low viscosity friction reducing lubricant.

Militec, Triflow, CLP are all higher viscosity than needed for lock lubrication, as would be, IMO 2 stroke oil, besides you don't need the hi temp protection.

Keep it simple. Our forefathers didn't require hi tech chemical marvels for lubricants. The most important criteria is a non-gumming property, which eliminates olive oil and other nut and seed oils. Ballistol? You may as well cut to the heart of the matter and simply use Baby Oil, since light Mineral Oil is common to both and you don't need an oil that is soluble in water :wink:

I have always used Ballistol, and have had excellent results with not even a hint of the lock gumming up... even when hunting in 12 degree weather. From my experience, it's a wonderful all-rounder oil - I even rub it into my stock. Another plus to it is due to its slight alkalinity, it neutralizes and dissolves black powder fowling. I also rub it into dry leather, with wonderful results.

I have nothing but praises for Ballistol - get some, and try it out.

Flintlock Fanatic said:
I have always used Ballistol, and have had excellent results with not even a hint of the lock gumming up... even when hunting in 12 degree weather. From my experience, it's a wonderful all-rounder oil - I even rub it into my stock. Another plus to it is due to its slight alkalinity, it neutralizes and dissolves black powder fowling. I also rub it into dry leather, with wonderful results.

I have nothing but praises for Ballistol - get some, and try it out.

I have some and have tried it. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/290456/post/1421668/hl//fromsearch/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Aran said:
What sort of lock lubes do you folks use?
Your thoughts.
What works for me:
1) Clean my lock(s) after every use;
2) Flush them out with aerosol pressure of WD40;
3) Blow excess off with compressed air ( or shake / drain off );
4) Re-Lubricate with a few drops of Rem Oil

Bill,
Look up TriFlow it is probably equal to Rem Oil w/teflon although it is on the expensive side a little goes a long way.

Rusty

I use snake oil. Best stuff out there.

By coincidence I have one of the very last ones made, and spare bottle I could sell you....for a price. :stir:

Just had a thought: How about Cod liver oil as a lock lube? During WW1 I do believe that the early bi plane fighters used Cod liver oil as crank case oil. Why would it not work in your lock? As for gumming up I clean my lock after every shoot so I dont think that would be a problem? What say you all?

In reference to my previous post I meant to say castor oil instead of Cod Liver Oil although Cod Liver Oil just might work as well as it is organic in nature and not mineral oil based.

There is no deep dark secret nor magic formula for properly lubing your lock in today's world. First, you are supposed to clean your lock after each use just as you do with cleaning the bore, etc. If you keep your lock clean, any of today's gun lubricants will do a fine job of lubing your lock. On the other hand, if you want to use the same stuff grandpappy used.......who knows what he used? He used what he could get.....whale oil....bear oil..... a secret recipe that he brewed up in his barn? Unless he is still alive or wrote down what he used, your guess is as good as mine. But, you can count on one thing being true and that is that whatever he used, there are far better modern gun lubes available on today's market.

Back